DjangoBooks.com

Django Biography

symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
edited June 2008 in History Posts: 20
Hi Djangophiles

I've just finished reading Michael Dregni's Django book, the first biography save small articles I've read on Django and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I know Michael has a new book out on Gypsy Jazz but I was curious about Charles Delaunay's biography and whether it would be a good second stop for reading about Django. I have the option to buy a 1st edition in good condition, but I've read that there is a corrected edition.

I also understand Delaunay's book has some bias to the whole American tour as Dregni points out, but I am still curious whether it would be a good purchase, either the 1st edition (with gilt edges I believe for about $140US) or the newer edition... or something else entirely to digest more about Django's life and Swing back in the 30's +.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Kind regards
Jason Just

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're into collecting first editions, I can't think of any reason to spend that much on Delaunay's book. It can be a fun read, but it's nowhere near as thorough as Dregni's and certainly less accurate. I bought my copy in a used bookstore for four or five dollars.

Dregni's second and third gypsy jazz books (the Illustrated History book and the "In Search Of..." book) are both good reads. The Illustrated History is a lot of fun--mostly photos with some text interspersed--while the third book is mostly about the players other than Django who have carried on his musical legacy. It's got a wealth of information, and is definitely worth getting even if the prose sometimes leans toward purple.

For a more general history of jazz in 1930s France, you might also check out Harlem in Montmartre, by William Alfred Shack. You can preview hereon Google Books.

best,
    Jack.
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Don't buy an original. Get the this re-print Django Reinhardt by Charles Delaunay . It is available from several other sources too and contains many more photos than the original 1963 edition.

I would strongly recommend you buy it because, until 1946, Delaunay was as close to Django as almost anyone. They fell out about the American trip and as Jack says from 1946 onwards, the book is very sketchy. You need both Dregni's and Delaunay's books to get a more balanced picture

I am not sure I agree with Jack that Dregni's book is more accurate per se. There is a great deal of supposition and questionable embellishment in it which he writes as facts. That makes a good read but treat it with caution.

To me, the big difference is that Delaunay knew Django and Dregni did not. Also when Delaunay wrote his book, the significance of the gypsy aspect of Django's music was not seen as being particularly significant. There is, consequently, very little about gypsy culture in it. It is more focussed on Django and jazz.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Just buy the reprint...$28:

• KlezmorimKlezmorim South Carolina, USANew
    Or PM me. I have a mint paperback copy that Amazon.com erroneously sent me last summer when I ordered Dregni's Illustrated History book. I'm willing to to depart with it rather reasonably, since I already own a copy.

-k
  • symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
    Thanks for the great tips, Jack & Teddy. I'll take up both recommendations, though I'll wait until I have a bigger order for my second purchase from Djangobooks.com for the 2 other Dregni books.

When I was in America this April, I made the wise decision to purchase Gypsy Rhythm, Gypsy Fire and Gypsy Picking to save on postage as I live in New Zealand and it's always best to consolidate bulk orders.

Harlem in Montmarte looks like a great read as well, thanks for that link, it's on my list.

Kind regards
    Jason Just
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Seattle public library had Delaunay's book, so I read it first. It is definitely good, but there are some funny translation errors which come from false cognates between French and English. But overall very good!