DjangoBooks.com

question....

edited July 2008 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 193
Hi. :D

Hee, I want to buy the Gypsy Rhythm book, I already own "getting into gypsy jazz by stephan wrembel". Is it necessary to buy Gypsy Picking now I already own the Stephan Wrembel book. :?

DjangoDjango

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I would say they are complimentary to each other, yes. Also, the Gypsy Fire book work work well if you wanted to buy a "book trio" .
    Thanks !
    Which one is better to buy first, Gypsy Picking or Gypsy Rhythm. I think Gypsy Rhythm because they say that you first need to learn rhythm (pompe) ?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    get the rhythm one first!!! no use playing solo if uc an't play rhythm right!
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    Rhtyhm is the best place to start, definitely.
    I think if you're just getting started with it, Michael's Rhythm book probably goes a little too deep for now.
    I'd get Dennis's DVD for the fundamental technique and one of the Nolan for the basic chords.
    I 've seen Michael's book and it seems a little too intense for a beginner. It's an encyclopedia of Gypsy Rhythm.
    Before you make a decision and receive all of that, you can also take a look here :
    http://www.serendipity-band.com/misc/ma ... toc-en.htm
    - JG
    Joli Gadjo wrote:
    I think if you're just getting started with it, Michael's Rhythm book probably goes a little too deep for now.
    I'd get Dennis's DVD for the fundamental technique and one of the Nolan for the basic chords.
    I 've seen Michael's book and it seems a little too intense for a beginner. It's an encyclopedia of Gypsy Rhythm.
    Before you make a decision and receive all of that, you can also take a look here :

Thanks, I learned the basic rhythm from the serendipity and my rhythm is not good but not bad. But I want to, how do you say that in english "perfect" it ? I also want to learn different types of rhythm like bolero and you have 2 other that are called , i think "dutch" "persian ?". I think when Im buying the Dennis Chang dvd first, I learn the basic technique, but in the future I want to learn the other types of rhythm, so I have to buy the Gypsy Rhythm book also. So , I think buying Gypsy Rhythm is better, what do u think ? :?
    Ive found the serendipity a long time ago and learned it from there * :D
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    dennis wrote:
    get the rhythm one first!!! no use playing solo if uc an't play rhythm right!
    exactly, lot of people starts playing the wrong way, using the right books in the wrong order
  • SamuelSamuel New
    Joli Gadjo wrote:

For what it's worth, I'd say that Gypsy Rhythm is still useful for a beginning player. It gives you chords to practice, and having the transcriptions in the back makes it easy to practice them. It's more fun when you can practice chords as they appear in songs, and with pretty easy transcriptions of Dark Eyes, Minor Swing, etc, it's not too overwhelming as long as you don't think you need to work your way through the entire thing :)

That said, I think I might still look for another book...does Denis' book series cover both picking and rhythm? Having the DVD instruction might be useful, I figure
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    Samuel wrote:
    For what it's worth, I'd say that Gypsy Rhythm is still useful for a beginning player.

totally agree, the scope of the book is massive but all the fundamentals are very well covered and explained.