DjangoBooks.com

Gitane DG-250M or Gitane DG-320?

harlemjoysharlemjoys Central Jersey✭✭✭
I'm thinking of picking up another guitar and I'm trying to decide between these two Gitane models. Can anyone out there who owns one or the other tell me a bit about the guitars and what you might like or dislike about them? All input is appreciated. Also any other guitar suggestions in that price range ($600-$800) is also appreciated. Thanks.

Alex

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Hey there,

I've got a 320 and one of the chaps I play with often has the 250M. I'd say they are comparable, both with the long scale and similar necks. The wood on the 250 m is beautiful, but that aesthetic plus is cancelled to me by the lack of a slotted peghead.

I love the bass response and the volume on the 320 - it is a freakin' loud guitar! In my opinion the 320 is better because it has those mids but still can cut through when you are soloing on the high strings.

YMMV :)
  • Dr. HallDr. Hall Green Bay, WisconsinNew
    The 320 has quite a bit more bass than the 250Ms I've encountered, and with Argentine 11s on there it is simply deafening, perhaps a bit boomy almost. Playing rhythm I have to back off a bit to avoid overpowering lighter lead pickers. For lead the 320 is as loud or louder than the 250M and, to my ears anyway, has a fuller, richer tone and plenty of volume which you don't have to strain to achieve. If you're looking to play not only gypsy jazz but also other acoustic styles (folk, fingerstyle, modern jazz, latin jazz) the 320's slightly darker tone meshes better with flat-top guitar tones. I play mine usually with Galli V27 silk and steel strings to give it a warmer, softer sound and feel. I play opposite a guy on a nylon string in one combo and opposite a guy on a Martin D-something in another group, and the 320 adapts and complements each nicely. For gypsy jazz, the only thing to watch for is playing rhythm too loud on the 320. Aesthetically speaking, the 320s I have seen (and the one I own) all have gorgeous Brasilian laminated rosewood sides and backs that rival the beauty of the birdseye maple of the 250M, and the mock-tortoise binding and soundhole inlay are pretty spiffy too. I installed the K&K Pure Maccaferri piezo system in my 320 (easy to do with the large soundhole), and with a little eq fiddling to reduce some of the boominess and avoid feedback the guitar sounds stellar amplified too. Not knocking the 250M though which quite a few folks play to great effect, but I personally prefer the sound and versatility of the 320. Hope this helps.
    -Stefan