DjangoBooks.com

gitane 250 or 255 (sorry - a broken record of a question)

Hello,

I've checked out allot what a number of people have to say on the topic of the various gitane guitars available. I'm in the UK and we seemingly only have one importer here and it is pretty hard to get hold of the guitars to try or get completely solid opinions on their characteristics. I play music very much influenced by the progressions and feels of gypsy in both writing and playing. However the arrangements are equally influenced by what I guess you'd call rock. Sounds odd, Makes sense when it comes together.

Long story short. I'm looking for a guitar to go and play the songs acoustically without the band (unlucky chaps) and I would rather buy an instrument of character than anything to smooth. A gypsy guitar seems the way forward. I don't want to spend to much because I'm going to be traveling around allot with the poor thing.

The D holes are lovely but I don't get on with the necks (slightly unfashionable I know but small hands) and I need the thing to be playable - for me. I need the thing to perhaps have a bit of warmth or body to the sound as I will be playing rhythm with vocals. Again I know the D hole would be better for this. The DG320 would perhaps be the best bet - but a touch above what I was hoping to pay for a partner in crime at this point. (I fear I may be convinced otherwise though).

If anyone can help clear up a couple of points that would be marvelous...

Questions:

1. Is the DG250 warmer than the DG255 (and indeed the maple version DG250M)?

2. Do the DG250 and the DG255 have a similar neck?

3. If I get one of these fellows mail order (I've been eyeing up Thomann in Germany)is it likely to come out of the box well made. Most accounts are pretty good. (A set up will no doubt be required at some point but it appears I can save rather allot going mail order - plus the UK dose not seem to stock the DG250)

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...the 255 and 250 are the same guitar. The only difference is the solid peg head. Those models are some of the oldest designs from Saga and have numerous issues which were fixed in the later designs. The DG-320, DG-300, and DG-340 are far better instruments IMO.

BTW, we have much lower prices then Thomann. Why not take advantage of the weak dollar??!!

Saga
    Gitane

• tomsankeytomsankey ukNew
    Hey,

thanks very much for your speedy advice. Small question. You mentioned prices - were you referring to a particular retailer of just U.S. prices in general? (I may be missing some obvious link here - apologies if this is the case).

Best Regards.
  • tomsankeytomsankey ukNew
    In fact I have just found the extremely well placed link... not very clever of me.

Thanks again!
  • JTKJTK New

I have a 250M. It's a true flat top. Loud as hell. It sounds a lot better with tired old strings than with new Argentines.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

I second that! I had a 250M and with fresh strings, man that thing could be harsh...

• JTKJTK New

Suggestions about strings other than Argentines? What about silk @ steel ?

Used to have a Gibson J200.. maple... I'd bet the 250M would cut through that loud-but-dull jumbo sound. I won't be parting with the Gitane...happily I have a Dupont.

• vanmalmsteenvanmalmsteen Diamond Springs ,CANew Latch Drom F, Eastman DM2v, Altamira m30d , Altimira Mod M

Well the set that I would always throw on my 250M was Martin silk and steel. They would mellow out after a while, well as mellow as that maple guitar could get. Don’t get me wrong, boy I wish I still had that guitar.

• JTKJTK New

I was impatient (yet again) with new Argentines on my 250M....after a mere week, mostly ignored, they've settled down nicely... By contrast, my Dupont MD50 (rosewood...1993) got new Argentines at the same time and were lovely immediately... This morning they were both good in practice, with the 250M being more punchy and crisp, equally playable Vs the more mellow Dupont...currently struggling with Django's Naguine, for which the Dupon's sweetness has the edge.