DjangoBooks.com

picking pattern

nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
edited July 2008 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 85
There are two main riffs in rhythm futur, both starting on the high E string with 3 notes. Stochelo seems to be starting this with a downstroke, but is he playing DUD , DDU OR D HAMMER ON D picking pattern? I can only play it at speed by starting on an upstroke thus playing UDU which means I finish on an upstroke ready for the downstroke on the next string down. I wish I could
slow the video down, but I thought Michael would know the best pattern for playing at speed. By the way I have been using the rest stroke and nothing else for the past year and 10 months its the best way to play this style.
Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi...I don't play this tune so I'm not sure what the best picking is.

Sorry...

'm
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    as far as stochelo goes, he plays evernote, and he's not doing anything weird beyond starting every new string with a downstroke.... the rest is alternate
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    I'm wondering if he'd let me rent his right hand for an hour, and his left if I can get a good deal.I don't have any problem with the rest of the riff(2nd one) it's just the first four notes DUDD seems to be extremely difficult, DDUD
    is a bit easier. Today I have tried DU PULL OFF D, easy at speed but lacking in sound.I can tell that he is picking every note.Thanks guys for the help. Dennis do you play this? and if so what would you do?
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    well, i do what he does... which is what i explained in the previous post :wink::wink::wink: make sure you're using the right motion, maybe it's also too hard for you to play right now, you can work on other stuff, like some of the exercises in michael's book
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    Thanks Dennis, I think your right about the book, I have'nt used the book for a while now. To be honest I think I have too many books at the moment, I have Gypsy Picking,Unacompanied, Stochelo's book,Gypsy Rhythm and L'espirit Manouche. I am a bit confused as to what music I would be ready for and what is out of my league. I play Valse de Rosenthall Swinging with Django Dinah,Undecided(Django's version) and bits and pieces of a few others ,but nothing all the way through.I just learn solos and dont play much rhythm which is bad yes.As I am teaching myself its hard to know what to learn and what to leave until later.