DjangoBooks.com

Worn 503

edited July 2008 in History Posts: 193
Hi :D

I was playing guitar and thought about a picture of Django's guitar
Why is the wood worn on the ride side of the strings of Django's guitar, because when I play I dont even touch the wood with the plectrum ?

Link viewtopic.php?t=3349

Comments

• lmntrylmntry Portland , Oregon✭✭✭✭
    Finger drag
    lmntry wrote:
    Finger drag

Thanks ! :D I saw that Jimmy Rosenberg drags his fingers (pink) over the wood of the guitar, I thought Django hold his plectrum with his hands like a fist ? im not sure.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    ... I thought Django hold his plectrum with his hands like a fist ? im not sure.

This famous video shows that his right hand is pretty relaxed, with loose fingers (Tchavolo is one who comes to mind whose right hand is very fistlike):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v-6AH-S8L8&feature=related

You also can see in the opening part how he uses the crippled small fingers of the left hand in chording.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    You can see clearly here how his ring and little fingers sometimes touched the guitar top:-
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    i cant even get my hand to pose like that. my hand is built totally different than django.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I can get mine to pose like that. Playing like that is another matter entirely.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Wow , never noticed that in the J'attendrai video. And in the picture you can really see the worn wood under his finger. I thought the worn wood just looks cool. :D
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    Wow , never noticed that in the J'attendrai video.
    Those two fingers are quite loose in the intro (see below) but tighter during the rest of the recording.