DjangoBooks.com

Paquito

Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
edited September 2008 in Repertoire Posts: 795
Seeing the video of Zaiti playing Paguito, I am reminded how much I like this tune and want to learn it. I'm trying to figure out the chords and for the life of me, I can't hear the third chord (measure 5-6).

Here is a chart of what I have so far. Would anyone like to comment on what I have so far and the missing chord(s). Thanks, Craig

Comments

• Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Besides the aforementioned video of Zaiti, here is Ritary playing Paquito at DFNE 2004.

CB
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Craig,

Here is a chart Will Patton sent me some time ago. I assume it's pretty accurate--he was playing with Ninine when he sent it.

best,
    Jack.
    Thanks Jack, I'll play around with it later this evening.

Craig.
    Yeah, that's it. I was trying to make the Am work for two measures and kept hearing the B7 but thought it should be coming later on the 7th & 8th measures. Am7-B7-Em9-B7 works great. Thanks Jack.

Craig
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    My favorite thing about this song is the "rhythmic chordal embellishments" that Ninine adds to it (which are nearly absent from Ritarys live version). I think those parts of the song are just as important as the melody and so don't forget it because they aren't on that sheet that Jack posted. The melody is simple enough to learn by ear but its the other aspects of the song that make it sound much fuller. Get Ninine Garcia's cd and listen to it.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    edited June 2020 Posts: 1,018

Alright, it took me 12 years since that previous comment (seen above), but I finally transcribed it.

Paquito - arranged by Ninine Garcia

Suggestions on how to improve it are appreciated. Just email me private and I will fix. I find chords hard to transcribe, especially when 2 chords are going at the same time.

wimmac63000BillDaCostaWilliamsScoredogbillyshakes
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

There is an excellent version of Paquito in the Django in June Compilation book. If you can't find it, PM me and I'll either post or send it.