DjangoBooks.com

Guitar Buying Guide

djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
Just to help people get ideas when shopping for gypsy guitar hardware. I am hoping other people on this group can contribute to this list by adding their "dream rig" or their own set of "pricing levels" like I did here. Just posting this for the fun of it.
--------

Cheap Rig:
Cigano GJ-10 - $425
Dupont Bigtone Bridge - $300
Guitar Setup - $100
Crate TX15 Taxi Battery-Powered Combo Amp (has a 5-6 hour battery life) - $180
Total: $1000

Medium Rig:
DellArte DG-AD1 Angelo Debarre(Favino Style) - $1250
Schertler DYN-G Pickup - $400
Schertler David Amp - $900
Guitar Setup - $100
Total: $2600

High Priced:
Dupont MD-50 $4000
Schertler Unico - $1200
Schertler DYN-G Pickup - $400
Guitar Setup - $100
Total: $5700

Elite:
Eimers Antique / Killy Nonis Aged - ~$6000 to $8000
AER Compact Mobile Acoustic - $1500
Total: $8800

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Thanks Jon!

I'd agree on the Cigano and MD-50. But I think the new Latcho Drom Manouche guitars are a way better choice for the "Medium Rig." Much better performance for the $. And for the Elite I'd go with a Dupont Vieille Reserve (ultra traditional) or a Hahl (ultra modern). And of course if you consider vintage stuff, a good Busato or Favino are also top picks in that range. Selmers are in a league of their own...they are the apex predators!

And for amps, the Acoustic Image Clarus with a Raezer's Edge speaker is impossible to beat. That would be my "elite" amp pick.

The Phil Jones CUB ($495) is a great cheap/medium option for an amp. No frills, ultra light (11lbs), 100W, and sounds awesome.

'm
  • FingersFingers Los Angeles, California...the ValleyNew
    Nice list thanks for taking the time to do that.

I have left a message at the store, I want to ask a few questions about shipping etc and a case and stuff.....but I am poised to get the entry level Cigano...it seems a very good deal for the money.

I love this music and am drawn to it like a moth to a flame......so I vacillate as to whether I should just get something better out the gate.....but money is tight here. I could swing paying more but then I could also get a better one later and keep the Cigano as a backup.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Fun idea Djangology.

For the medium:
    Dupont Nomade $1750 (personal choice)
    Bigtone $300
    Roland AC 60 $500
    Setup $100
    Total $2650

With an AER alpha $850 instead of the Roland would be a $3000 Medium priced rig, a Latcho Drom or Dell arte could go instead of the Nomade to drop down the price.

Absolutely agree with a Dupont MD(C) 50 ( 50B, 50E, 60 or 100 also work) for the high priced rig but I would get an AER compact 60 with probably a Custom Deluxe Djangobooks Bigtone to go along with it.

If you prefer the Schertler amps,I'd go for the Schertler Basik $160 instead of the DYN everytime, it's cheaper and IMO sounds better with gypsy guitars.

Dream rig:
    Selmer #503 (hey it's a dream!)
    A nice condenser mic with a nice PA along with a personal sound engineer who knows what he's doing and it's always paying attention.
    Total: Priceless :lol:
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:

I'd go with K&K instead of Bigtone (in fact I already did). It's less than 100$, sounds much more guitaresque AND you dond't need to drill holes to your top. And because of the climate I live in (damp in the summer, dry in the winter) I really appreciate the possibility to easily switch bridges instead of filing them lower or raising with shims. With Bigtone you're stuck with that one bridge.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I'd second what Michael said. The Acoustic Image/RE combo or the Cub are excellent amp choices.

My pick for the elite would be a new JP Favino.

Cheers,

Marc
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass