DjangoBooks.com

DFNW 2008 Review

PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
edited October 2008 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 774
Another year…another Djangofest…a few highlights for me at this year’s DFNW were…

…Gonzalo’s show on Saturday…was a great show with some killer guitar playing and great original compositions, which made things fresh and very listenable. If he’s not known in other parts of the world yet, I hope he gets the attention his playing deserves – he’d bring the house down at Samois and IGGF, etc…

Sebastien Giniaux Trio…another fresh approach to the GJ scene, with an astonishing version of Miles Davis’s Tutu, OK so it was written by Marcus Miller, but just an incredible show of technique and virtuosity, he really laid a wonderful groove down on that tune…enabled by the fantastic rhythm of Mathieu and Jereme…I really like the way Sebastien waited for the rhythm to kick in to groove before setting off on his solos. His Limehouse blues was pure brilliance!

The Rosenberg Trio – what can be said about this classic Trio who we’ve been listening to and enjoying their music for many years, except that to see them live was a real treat. I really appreciated Nousche’s rhythm playing seeing him in person, which he made look effortless even on the faster more complex rhythms.

Another great festival!... being from the isles it’d been good to see some UK GJ folk invited to play at future festivals, such as: Gary Potter, Colin Cosimini, Stuart Carter-Smith, etc…

As always, was great to have our annual reunion with old and new friends…cheers Phil

Comments

• djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    At the end of Sebastians show on Sunday afternoon Nick Lehr say "The Lady is A Tramp" to a half-packed house in WICA. Sorry that many of you missed it. It was awesome. :-)

The Saturday night show with Gonzalo opening for Rosenberg Trio was "epic".

I learned so much this week. It was a really good festival for me.
  • B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805
    ......I picked up my new Holo Busato saturday DFNW at the book store ( Thanks Josh for playing it in for me) and it is incredible! The tonal palette, strong reverb, responsiveness, clarity, playability, volume, neck shape, partial harmonic balance, and light weight is totally impressive. One should expect a very good guitar when you spend the money to have one custom made and this one sounds like Rodolphe Raffalli's guitar on the great cd, "A Georges Brassens" (Vol. 1)
    ......Madagascar Rosewood with a distinctive light blond color center "wedge" adorn the back and even the sides. A grand piece of wood! Thanks Bob for picking this out of your stock.
    ......This is a 2nd generation model based upon Josh's Holo which I played and was impressed with and I think this one is a final design also.
    ......I won't be selling this one!
    ......Thanks Bob for the detailed explanation of design decisions, and sound board wood selection reasoning. May you evolve into the best luthier on the planet!
    ......Rocky
    ps: I had a great time jamming with old friends and new ones I met! Wish I'd come up sooner.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Hi Rocky - glad you like it. The first year of a guitar's life is the most exciting as it starts to show you its voice. That one was a tiger right off the bench - nice big voice and I didn't take the top too thin - so it'll continue to open noticeably for a couple of years just as Josh's did. Fun stuff.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.