DjangoBooks.com

Django's 47 Dark eyes solo-repost

CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
edited October 2008 in History Posts: 557
Hey Everyone, ok so I am reposting this here maybe it will get a better response. I am working with a ethnomusicology professor in a sort of informal DIS. I am trying to gather all the examples I can of Django' 47 Dark eyes solo. Any and all if it is recorded I am looking for it. I am not looking for any one to post any versions of it but just listing records where you know it was recorded is fine I will deal with running down copies of stuff. Any time where any part of the solo is quoted is what I am looking for Gypsy non-gypsy whatever. THis is obviously a well known solo in the repertoire. I have ideas about why but I want to get a good sampling first. I'll start.
Rosenberg trio- live at North Sea jazz fest
Bireli Lagrene- gypsy project and friends

If we could compile a really good list I would be very happy. Thanks in advance for your help everyone. heck even if you want to shoot me a pm or an email at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e --> thats cool too.
thanks everyone.
Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.

Comments

• steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    there is a version by tchavolo and angelo on the "les nuits manouches" cd vol.2 that begins by quoting some of the 47 solo. i think this recording originally comes from the "memories Of Django" album they did together but i don't have that one.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Thanks- hopefully they will keep coming.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Caleb,

Here's a few more:

Bireli Lagrene--Gypsy Project and Friends; Fifteen
    Joscho Stephan--Swing News
    The Rosenberg Trio--Seresta
    Titi Demeter--Jazz Manouche
    Jimmy Rosenberg--Sinti

some only use certain phrases--most often the cymbalom pattern--but seem familiar enough to be included:

Moreno--Bolero; Jazz Tzigane
    Sampson Reinhardt--unknown album (live?)
    Basily--Antara

Surely there's more; that's just what happens to be in my iTunes at the moment. If I have some time I'll do a little more digging for you...

best,
    Jack.