DjangoBooks.com

Archtop guitars???

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Well the Eastman is great! Great acoustic sound, great workmanship, fit and finish... I havent bought it yet and I don't think I will though... It's just too much money for me right now, but awesome guitar!

I have a pair of Gibson classic '57 pickups sitting around in their boxes, so that solves most of the electronic trouble with Epis/Ibanez.

I'll probably get an Epiphone. I think I like the Broadway (bigger box) the best, but might go for an ES175 or a Joe Pass since they cost even less.

The guitar is gonna get gigged a lot so I want something that won't hurt as hell if it gets stolen, beat up, etc.
    I can't even imagine the emotional trauma of getting a ding on a $50,000 Benedetto.

I'd try a Godin but they are unavailable here, so that rules those out.
    Ibanez are ok too and cheap, maybe if I find one I really like...

Thanks to everyone for contributing to this thread.
  • shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
    perhaps I could title this post: Godin 5th Ave: the new Cigano

I just bought a 5th Ave from a dealer in Boulder. I got the Cognac "burst" which is a more richly wood-grained version of what the Godin website shows. The staff all helped me by listening to me A/B the two 5th Ave's they had in stock, and then one of the staff played them both for me, rapidly switching back and forth while we all listened. Both guitars were good, but we all agreed that one had a somewhat clearer, drier sound. I bought that one. New, with the case (a TRIC foam case), I paid $539.

I played it last night for my wife, A/B-ing it with my Dupont MD 30. She, and I, loved the warmth of the tone. And it is well made.

I attached my Basik to it, and it sounded unbelievable through my Acoustic Image/Raezer's Edge setup. In fact, I think this amplification setup works better for the 5th Ave than it does for my Dupont.
    I also purchased a Ken Armstrong Handmade floating PAf that I am going to have installed.

Anyone looking for a cheap archtop should look at the Godin.

Also: during the same session at the music store, I played an Ibanez archtop, and a Gretch archtop at around the same price point. Truly, these were absolutely not in the same category, they were heavy, and had no tone. They also had a Benedetto, which was around $5,000. It may seem impossible, but the Benedetto sounded thin, both acoustically and electrically. I am no stranger to expensive, handmade guitars, but for $500, the Godin 5th Ave delivered far, far more than 1/10th the sound of the Benedetto. I feel extremely fortunate to have found this guitar.
    Those Godins look nice... But I want something with a cutaway.
    I'm still on the hunt for a used Eastman, if I can find one for around $1000.
    If not I'll probably buy a cheap Epi and replace the pickups with the ones I have.
    I'm not looking for acoustic sound, I have a Dupont for that, rather a good "Wessy" electric tone and good playability.

What do you guys think is better between Epis and Ibanez, if they were both around the same price?? I'm talking mostly sound and workmanship (frets, finish)
  • ManoucheriesManoucheries Europe:Romania✭✭✭
    Hi,

I don't know if it helps but you can take a look at a Peerless Monarch ( 17" archtop )
    http://www.peerlessguitars.co.uk/#/monarch/4523586550
    Here is Matt Otten playing one...looks nice...the sound is good...you can put a Benedetto 6 pickup on it i think...or a Kent Armstrong...and the price is verry good...

I know it's not an Eastman but around 1000$ you can buy one new..

All the best !!!
  • shegashega Colorado✭✭✭
    Those Godins look nice... But I want something with a cutaway.
    I'm still on the hunt for a used Eastman, if I can find one for around $1000.
    If not I'll probably buy a cheap Epi and replace the pickups with the ones I have.
    I'm not looking for acoustic sound, I have a Dupont for that, rather a good "Wessy" electric tone and good playability.

What do you guys think is better between Epis and Ibanez, if they were both around the same price?? I'm talking mostly sound and workmanship (frets, finish)

You and I are in the same boat. How could anything improve the sound of my Dupont (other than the Vielle Reserve I played in Tokyo this summer...)?

I was also looking for an electric tone, but I knew that I wanted something that could also sound reasonable unplugged. I didn't care about the cutaway (the Godin has very good access to the 14th-17th frets, due to the height of the fingerboard), and I am approaching the Godin as an electric in the making. I have done tons and tons of research, and I have to say, the Epi Broadway seems pretty good for the price, as does the Joe Pass and the Emperor Regent. There is so much online about these models (particularly the Joe Pass), with hundreds of enthusiastic owners. . Like I said, the Ibanez I played was just truly terrible. Look at all of the reviews on the big internet sites, Musician's Friend, and so forth, to see what people have said about these instruments, as well as Harmony Central. You may have done this already, but there are endless online references for these guitars, and had I not gone with the Godin, I would have gone with an Emperor Regent with a Ken Armstrong PAF (handmade). Until I could afford an eastman, of course.
    When you get one, please post about it. I have listened to your links in the past, and you are a great player!
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Epiphone or Ibanez

Epiphone Broadway and mod it.
    Thanks for the replies!
    Wow! Those Peerless sure look nice and for around $1000 I think they are a great deal.
    I'd love to try both the Godin and Peerless but I doubt they'll have them in the stores around here... only Epis and Ibanez.

Thanks for the kind words about my playing Shega.
    I'll post a review or something here as soon as I buy.
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Peerless Renaissance (sp)

Hollow body thin line
    All solid woods, no center block. That would be my choice.
  • ManoucheriesManoucheries Europe:Romania✭✭✭
    I'm looking for an archtop guitar myself so I think the Peerless Monarch will do for me...I have a very cheap archtop but the sound is very nice..it has two EMG pickups...but it's time to move on...
    I think the Peerless Monarch is great..all solid wood...the stock pickup sound good...I love the look of this guitar..with a floating pickup and no holes in the top for knobs...
    I think I'll have one soon...

Good luck fiinding your guitar!!!
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Does anyone have a sound clip or video of the kingpin plugged in? I am curious. :roll:
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com