DjangoBooks.com

Rest Stroke Supremacy

Lucius371Lucius371 Lakewood, WANew
edited February 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 22
To whom it may concern,
I'd like to thank Michael "the voice calling out in the wilderness" as regarding rest stroke technique. When one listens to the masters one can hear the conduciveness of the rest stroke to the gypsy style. Yet, as I peruse youtube I see semi-reknowned gutiarists playing the style using unnecessary alternate picking. Some exceptions like Adrien Moignard and Stephan Wrembel who use occasional alternate strokes to accomodate certian "cool as hell" lines. However, even they still use the rest stroke nearly exclusively. It irks me that one might audaciously presume to study this music and present it to the leyman while disrespecting it's integrity by using that hideous alternate picking. Is there anyone out there as militant as me regarding this subject?
"de non conveniendo cum hereticus"

Comments

• Lucius371Lucius371 Lakewood, WANew
    Obviously, it is understood that Adrien and Stephane are world renowned virtuosos. Don't get it twisted. I should have my tongue cut out before I'd dare utter a syllable against their playing. I use them as contrast to Stochelo and Jimmy Rosenberg who rest stroke even the most absurdly difficult passages.
    "de non conveniendo cum hereticus"
  • cantzoncantzon Jeju Do, South KoreaNew
    I do not view alternate picking as either unnecessary or ugly. It's a different way to play. It in no way undermines the integrity of anything.
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    I dont think the music or tradition is disrespected by not using the "rest stroke". I think it is disrespected when it is played without passion, enjoyment, musical invention and when technical skill is placed above the emotional content of the whole thing.

I will go even further - I am not convinced that the "rest stroke" is accurately described anywhere. I struggle to reconcile some of the written descriptions with the phsyics involved and I would love to see someone do a hi-def close up video of players right hands and then slow it right down to see what actually goes on. I think we'd see something slightly different from what we'd be expecting.

My thoughts are that the "rest stroke" is actually more of a controlled percussive stroke driving through the string in a slight arc and not necessarily "resting" anywhere but the arc of travel being stopped abruptly so that movement to the next or a subsequent upstroke on the same string is possible in the least amount of time.

At the end of the day I dont care if someone's using rest strokes, alternate picking, fingers of toes as long as the music swings.

Django would be laughing like a drain if he could see the lengths we go to to analyse, regiment and teach this fluid, inventive music. Lets have no more right or wrong dogma and just enjoy the music
    always learning
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    yeah don't get stuck on what this music is or isn't. The only right way to play is being true to your own voice. The rest is just mental noise.
  • nutloafnutloaf WalesNew
    All I can say is, there is a big difference in the sound and the playing of those using the rest stroke. Stochelo and Bireli, I think, lead the way at the moment in gypsy jazz and both use the rest stroke. Rest stroke rules when it comes to gypsy jazz.Alternate picking is a good technique for jazz,rock,blues I used it for years.I happen to find the rest stroke a more comfortable way to play the guitar, I dont feel like I'm guessing where my pick is going hit like I did with alternate picking and I used that for 18years.I have been using rest stroke for 2years 4months, thanks Michael.
    Don't stare at the stinking finger, or you will miss all the heavenly glory.