DjangoBooks.com

'LÁccordeon/rant

FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 53
Hello all,
Does anyone have a chart for L'Accordeon by Serge Gainsbourg, it's a beautiful tune I found on volume two of Paris Musette
In recent times I discovered Gainsbourg as a writer of some truly beautiful songs like "Poinconneur des Lilacs"
Funny thing is I had him always in my mind as the playboy type on 'Je táime mais non plus"with Jane Birkin ? It is difficult to find info about him and his music in English, there is a lot written about him but alas, it's all in French
Weird thing is that almost all the French websites with lyrics and basic charts are being closed down due to strict enforcment of publishing regulations, even on Youtube there is talk about strict policies of not allowing a songs melody being played in any form unless the publishing rights have been paid for. Imagine not being able to play the melody to Minor Swing in public or on the net unless you pay for it. As things stand I guess you are allowed to play the chords but you are not allowed to name the tune by it's original name so we have to come up with vague titles like " Sweet Surroundings""/Douce Ambiance or "Option Anxiety"/Undecided
I can't imagine why anyone would like to kill so much free publicity for several styles of music (the regular jazz and rock guys are also getting confronted by this and their market is a much bigger one than the Django/Swing one) I do remember the bleak '70's and '80's where you had to search far and wide to find a Django record, let alone other material like strings or books.( To find Argentine strings you even had to travel to Paris,those were the days) I truly hope that some common sense will prevail and that we all may enjoy the freedom we are still having these days
kind regards
Frans

Comments

• Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    There's a great version of Le Poinconneur des Lillas by Daniel Givone, and Les Doigts de l'Homme.
    I have seen a chart somewhere, and will get back to you soon with it.
    - JG
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Always loved the Serge Gainsbourg version of le Poinconneur des Lilas, I have it on an album from 58'. Until I heard Le Doigts put it through is paces of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDTE6zLY ... re=related

I've used the two versions as played one after the other to explain to non GJ'ers how this style works... and why I haven't been in the pub in the last 6 months. It seems to work, you can see the penny drop moment...like listening Coltrane doing Favourite Things.

Gadjo, any charts would be great man, thanks
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Hooked on this album, great oud playing on this track.