DjangoBooks.com

Thirds and sixths...?

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited December 2008 in Gypsy Fire Posts: 1,855
Happy Boxing Day!

Just wondering if gypsyjazz players have an inside track on playing thirds and sixths?

For example, to my way of thinking, sixths seem to demand to be played on the same pair of strings all the way up the neck...

...while thirds can, with equal logic, be played that way or on different pairs of strings?

Or perhaps GJ players just aren't interested in thirds or sixths, a sound which to my ears seems more identified with Latin-style music?

Please enlighten-

Will Wilson
Niagara-On-The-Lake, ON
Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

Comments

• AndreasObergAndreasOberg Stockholm,SwedenModerator
    Well, thirds are very common in gypsy jazz and there's actually a few examples consisting of those intervals in my book, gypsy fire.
    Sixths are not as usual as constant intervals in this style even though players like bireli lagrene are using it (and also yours truly:)

I would say that in my way of thinking sixths can be play differently and paired on different strings just as thirds even though it's easier to do thirds if you're staying on one string of course ;)

Best Regards and happy holidays!
    Andreas
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Andreas, it turns out that my adult kids took my hint and ordered me a copy of your book "Gypsy Fire".

I hope it will be arriving here in Canada in the next week or so.

So I look forward to seeing how you do your thirds.

I've been working with "Gypsy Picking" ever since Django Camp last June, and my right hand is starting to feel more at home with this style, despite 40 years of alternate picking.

The only thing I still struggle with are fast triplets.

Anyway, I hope I'm ready for your book, because I'm really looking forward to it!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."