DjangoBooks.com

New CD: The Red Rock Hot Club - Gypsy Daydream

Comments

• A.K. KibbenA.K. Kibben Tucson AZ USANew
    Buy it!
    Support these guys!
    I've got word that other stateside musicians are releasing new CD's also...
  • richdaiglerichdaigle SLC,UT✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, If you'd like to hear samples of the disc, go to
    www.redrockhotclub.com!!

a big thanks to Michael for carrying it on this site.

I hope you enjoy it,

Rich Daigle
    Red Rock Hot Club
    Red Rock Hot Club
    "Gypsy Daydream"

The Red Rock Hot Club is based in Salt Lake City but inspired by Paris. And this album of Gypsy Jazz is the real deal.
    The quintet is an intriguing blend of Django Reinhardt’s early Hot Club Jazz with his war-era swing music, inspired respectively by the American Jazz of Louis Armstrong and Benny Goodman. Led by Rich D’aigle the band blends the the violin of Dan Salini playing Stephane Grappelli’s role with the Clarinet of John Flanders taking Hubert Rostaing’s place. The group is filled out by guitarist Pat Terry and Bassman Scott Terry. With both violin and clarinet melding with the strings, the band boasts a full rich, full sound.
    The setlist here is pretty true to the Django Songbook,with the addition of a couple of D’aigle originals “After You’ve Gone” steps spritely into Django’s ”Nuages” moving into “J’Attendrai” and more standards and classics.
    But it’s the style with which they swing their music that lifts the Red Rock Hot Club above the ordinary. On cuts like Eddie Durham’s “Topsy”, The band rides the melody with abandon, charging into inspired improvisations, and trading eights that are truly Hot.
    - Michael Dregni
    The Red Rock Hot Club

Gypsy Daydream

(RRHC)

55 years after his death, the music and style of Django Reinhardt are as popular as ever. During the past 20 years, “gypsy jazz” has caught on big in Europe and in certain areas of the United States . The combination of an acoustic guitar soloist, violin, a rhythm guitar or two and a bass performing swing standards is still an irresistible idea, often augmented by other instruments and original tunes in the style.

One would not necessarily think of Salt Lake City as a hotbed of gypsy swing, but that is where The Red Rock Hot Club is based. The group, consisting of guitarists Rich D’Aigle and Pat Terry, violinist Dan Salini, clarinetist John Flanders and bassist Scott Terry, was founded by D’Aigle in 1999. On Gypsy Daydream, they perform five vintage standards, six Django songs, two originals by D’Aigle and the haunting “J’Attendrai.” The latter was featured on the only full-length sound film of Reinhardt with the Quintet of the Hot Club of France.

While Dan Salini and Rich D’Aigle naturally hint at Stephane Grappelli and Django Reinhardt, they are creative within the style and not merely copying the past. Their versions of such numbers as “After You’ve Gone,” “Blues For Ike,” “Swing 48,” “When You’re Smiling” and the classic “Tears” are fresh and alive rather than just museum pieces, showing off the vitality of the band.

Django would have enjoyed this CD, and would certainly have loved to sit in with the Red Rock Hot Club. Gypsy Daydream is available from www.redrockhotclub.com.

Scott Yanow
    Gypsy Daydream: a cd by The Red Rock Hot Club

Yes ANOTHER Hot Club, this time from Salt Lake City, Utah, and I liked them! Founded by Rich D'aigle in 1999, the group released Gypsy Daydream in the fall of 2008.

Pat Terry, professor of jazz studies at the University of Utah is the rhythm guitarist, and Scott Terry keeps the authentic beat on bass.
    They are joined by Violinist Dan Salini and John Flanders on the Clarinet.

The CD boasts tunes that were originally performed by Django Reinhardt (may 16, 2009 was the 56th anniversary of his death and guitarists are still in awe of him today).

Additionally there are two noteworthy originals by D'aigle, plus, his rendition of 'When You're Smiling " will make you smile.

The recording is very well done technically. The playing is relaxed, swinging and really in the mode of a 30's Paris Hot Club. The melodies are well stated and the improv’s are always interesting, but not overloaded with notes. This is not to imply a lack of virtuosity, but to stress that this group has a coherent presentation of good swinging music and not a unending burst of fiery arpeggios.

Listen to Django again and you will hear the same restraint and tasteful use of his gigantic technique. They have achieved a balance between the authentic QHC's of Django and their own tastes and influences.

You can hear this in the D’aigle original, "Gypsy Daydream" with a Latin beat and also in "Royal and Conti.”

I would say this set of tunes is always pleasing, never straining and does not fail to swing even though played with a relaxed feeling.

Many Hot Club groups have risen from the desire to enjoy the music of Django Reinhardt and other Gypsy Jazz players.

If you love this music, you never tire of discovering new groups in the genre. You, like me, get excited to hear one that can play the tunes and add something of their own to the tradition. I think you will agree that the The Red Rock hot Club fufills these requirements.

To enjoy this CD, buy it at their website at www.redrockhotclub.com

I'm getting lots of kicks from mine!

Submitted to just Jazz Guitar may 17 2009

[django would be 99 if he lived ]

Frank Forte md