DjangoBooks.com

Swingology wins Music Nova Scotia Award!

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited January 2009 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 1,665
I wasn't sure where to post this, so this seems as good as any.

Our Nova Scotia gypsy jazz band Swingology got a fantastic bit of recognition this year. Our debut CD "Swingology" was selected as Jazz Recording of the Year by Music Nova Scotia. The competition was some of the best jazz musicians in Halifax, and somehow our little hitherto unknown gypsy jazz ensemble beat them all. We were so honored just to get the nomination. It's really exciting to have gypsy jazz get this kind of recognition in a part of the country where we are constantly having to explain what the heck that means.

If you'd like to listen to a few cuts from the CD check out:
http://www.myspace.com/swingology

Also included is our take on the Spiderman theme song (thanks to Kruno Spisik for the inspiration; I stole the opening of my solo from him, as best I could). It also appears online at the Peppermill records Website under "The Box," their collection of reimagined TV themes:
http://www.peppermillrecords.com/pm010/

It will probably appear on our next CD.

Doing our best to keep gypsy jazz alive in Eastern Canada.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    congrats! btw it's spisic not spisik... his last name is pronounced spisitch
  • langleydjangolangleydjango Langley, WA USA✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations! Keep the flame burning.

Troy
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    dennis wrote:
    congrats! btw it's spisic not spisik... his last name is pronounced spisitch

Oops, sorry, I should know that. His first CD is one of my favorites. Guess I was trying to make his name symmetrik.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    Fantastic!
  • andoatagnandoatagn Northampton, MAProdigy
    Hey Ben...congratulations! You guys have been workin' it.

And by the way, Kruno will be at Django in June for all of Django Camp this year in case you want to lift any more of his licks.

See you then!
    ~Andrew
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Thanks, Andrew, I appreciate the kind words.

And it's great to hear that Kruno will be at Django in June this year. I took two classes from him at the 2007 event and thoroughly enjoyed both. He is a great teacher, a very tasteful guitarist, and a really nice guy (and not too shabby a singer).

See you in June!
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • HalifaxHalifax Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Too bad he looks like crap all the time
    :wink: