DjangoBooks.com

triplet

FransFrans The Netherlands✭✭✭✭
edited January 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 53
Hi all,

On page 122 of "Gypsy Rhythm" there is one example of a two-bar triplet pattern as Django did on the '37 Minor Swing, can anyone point me to other examples of this pattern on other tunes or even different patterns
I would like to know what varieties there are and on which point in the chord progression they are used, the '37 Minor Swing pattern is used on the last two bars of the progression instead of a chordal turnaround so is this rhythmic variation usually used instead of a chordal turnaround ?
Any input is really appreciated

kind regards
Frans

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Frans,

I can't think of any other Django examples off the top of my head...but you can use that triplet pattern anywhere. I like to use it on I'll See you in My Dreams on the Bbmaj to Bbmin chords.

'm
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I sometimes use it on the long stretch of C in "...Anything but Love", but like M says you can use it anywhere. The tricky part for many people is that unless the chord is the same for at least 3 bars, you'll need to change chords before the triplets are done. One variation is to begin with the triplets instead of the rest, which lets all three triplets fit within 2 bars.

Of course, like all these rhythm hits, it's best used sparingly or it just gets busy and distracting.

best,
    Jack.