DjangoBooks.com

Good Examples of the Samba Style

The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
edited January 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 71
Can anyone point me to some good examples (sounds clips or youtube videos) of the samba style of rhythm? The only one I've found is this video by Jimmy Rosenberg and Frank Vignola:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOrFeDvDpro

At 1:10 Jimmy takes over and you can see his wrist movements clearly. I can get almost up to this speed with the right accents and everything but by the end of the song my wrist and forearm are burning up! Granted this is a new style I'm trying out. Do I just need more time for my muscles to get used to it or am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    it requires slow practice... it's more of a rhumba rhythm than samba.... the rosenbergs use it all the time on their CDs.. jimmy has a few on the CD he released when he was 15 ("Sinti")... you can find those rhythms on certain rosenberg trio CDs as well (Caravan, Gypsy Summer. Impressions)
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    Thanks Dennis. I will definitely pick up some of those CDs. That style of rhythm has such a lively feeling (and so much energy) I am very eager to master it!