DjangoBooks.com

The Essence of Gypsy Jazz

Comments

• Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    I think the sometimes frenetic tempos of modern GJ are a result of people not dancing to the music anymore. The fact is, if people are dancing to it, it can only get so fast.

With Django, I think his music was an expression of his life as a gypsy combined with a homage to American jazz. In modern gypsies, I think it's a combination of expressing their life style combined with a homage to Django. With us gadjos, it's trying to look good in Angelo's signature shoes. 8)

Can anyone think of another style of music that evolved so completely from one man? There were other fine players back then for sure, but without Django, this music would probably have faded away, and Maurice Dupont would be selling cognac.

I think it's impossible to define the essence of anything without taking the life out of it. Dennis is right: it's the shoes! You can't get closer than that without missing the point.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    I'm fully agreed with Symbolique!

I love swing music in general because it is dance music. I like bop, but swing has my heart. And Django knew how to swing!
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    My Gypsy Jazz band has only done 4 gigs, but at 2 of them there were people dancing. So it depends where you play,... not geographically, but in what kind of situation/venue. But i would say that it started as dance music & as a performer is much more enjoyable when people are dancing, you take that 3rd chorus guilt free 'cos you just don't want the people to stop dancing, they don't want you to stop playing. Symbiotic, n'all.
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    symbolique wrote:
    This raises another question to mind that has me (and my wife) curious. Django used to play to audiences who danced.

Yes, he did that too, because at the time swing was the most fashionable modern dance rhythm. Still, making people dance wasn't Le Quintette's first priority.

I just read in a Grappelli biography (Mon violin pour tout bagage), that when they got their first longer engagement at Bricktop's, Django and Grappelli were concerned that people wouldn't be able to hear the music if the audience danced (remember, no amps). They'd make the landlady arrange the tables in front of the band, so there wouldn't be room for dancing (less noise and distraction) and people would be sitting closer, better positioned for looking and listening.

I think they were rightly proud of their music. And as a side product, they also created the modern jazz club.
  • HalifaxHalifax Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Here in Halifax we have a wonderful GJ band by the name of Gypsophilia.
    The dance floor is always full...and many are wearing period clothes and everyone is smiling.
    If the dance floor is filling up, back off on the Bebop and let them dance.

Just me

PS Mirror Balls aren't just for Disco...they were used way back when for mood lighting during waltzes.
  • AnnetteAnnette SeattleNew
    I think the essence of Gypsy Jazz is joy.

Pure joie de vivre!
  • symboliquesymbolique wellington, new zealandNew
    I hope I didn't infer that dancing was the essence of GJ :wink:

The topic just got me thinking on that line. Great to hear people still swing to GJ, I've yet to see it, but here in NZ it is a rarer thing than overseas.

As for joy, there is a certain sadness in GJ too, Tears for e.g. (Tears of Sadness, Tears of Joy)

Kind regards
    Jason Just
  • ScroogeScrooge AustraliaNew
    It may be hard to say what the essence of GJ is, but the following top 10 quizz will tell you if you don't have it. Scoring is in reverse order to the question number, if you answer yes to question 10 you get 1 point, 9 points for question 2 etc.

You don't have the essence of GJ if

10, You think Dennis Chang is the Iron Chef Canada.

9, You bought a genuine Selmer on e-bay from a guy in Russia for $2000. The label was only removed so no would try to steal such a rare instrument.

8, You over pronounce the letter D in Django.

7, You play along with Robin Nolan's Minor Swing, but your sure he's got the chords wrong.

6, To quickly improve your playing your took Dennis Chang's advice and bought a pair of two tone patient leather shoes.

5, You upgraded your Selmer to an Aria because the guy in the shop showed you all the chords to Minor Swing, and threw in a set of strings.

4, A professional player down the street taught you this strange tune Dark Eyes. But you told him you would prefer to stick to the tradition gypsy songs.

3, The strings on the Aria have all turned black, the winding is worn through on two strings, its getting harder to tune and the action is twice as high. You go on the forums to see if its time to change the strings.

2, You search the internet for weeks trying to find out what technology Django used to tweak his takes.

AND THE NUMBER ONE ALL TIME SIGN

1, You've just spent the last 24 hours without sleep, mesmerised by Kelly Lancaster, that man must be a God in France.
    I'll do any thing for 30 cents an hour
  • Ian RossiterIan Rossiter Fort Vermilion ,Alberta ,CanadaNew
    Moved away 11 years ago, but I often could use a coffee from the old Cafe' Mokka , a set of strings from the Folklore Centre, a Donair from "European",and an afternoon of busking at the Library!!!
    I heard "Steveo'reeno'" has the old Mokka spot on Brunswick ST , and that the Mokka re-located, are they still in buisness??
    Practice ,Practice,EAT PRACTICE- Tommy Tedesco
  • HalifaxHalifax Halifax, Nova ScotiaNew
    Hi Ian!
    Come home and recharge your batteries anytime.
    We can sit and play a tune together...and drink Kieth's :lol:

Daniel