DjangoBooks.com

Selmer on Ebay ?

blindjimmyblindjimmy phoenix,az✭✭✭✭
shut up and play your guitar

Comments

• SalieriSalieri Europe, Romania✭✭✭
    I'm not expert, but i think that is a fake, because the price is low for a Selmer (i think). :D
    140annl.png
    Visit my YouTube profile: http://www.youtube.com/user/Xiphosss
    Vive Django!
  • Swing 69Swing 69 ScotlandNew
    Without getting the selmer book out to compare the finer details it Certainly looks real, if fake, a good 1!
    Today, so many guys can make a new guitar look authentic so that's certainly a possibility. It does seem a bit strange that it would be sold on ebay.
  • sockeyesockeye Philadelphie sur SchuylkillNew
    Looked real to me -- and the price was low, but it was an auction and of course would have gone much higher. The auction has ended which probably means it sold privately.

The market sure is soft. There was a nice Eimers on eBay starting at $2000 which got no bids (there was a reserve which may have been part of the reason it got no bids).
    Looked real to me -- and the price was low, but it was an auction and of course would have gone much higher. The auction has ended which probably means it sold privately.

The market sure is soft. There was a nice Eimers on eBay starting at $2000 which got no bids (there was a reserve which may have been part of the reason it got no bids).

• fraterfrater Prodigy
    I've seen "relic" Selmer guitars made by Dell'Arte, Hodson, Ajl, Eimers, Nonis (the best looking one), Barrault... it usually doesn't take more than 30 sec. to realize they're fakes. The Selmer in the pic was either authentic or the work of a luthier that makes every other one, Dupont included, look like amateurs.

That said, the auction sounded a little bit weird (the guitar was in France, the seller in USA, the seller declined to reveal the serial number...). So it sounded a bit risky... at least for a person like me that doesn't exactly got the money of Bill Gates (even so, I was really tempted to bid). Now, if some lucky SOB has bought a Selmer very, very close to the 503 at around 10.000 /15.000 $, please don't let me know!
  • BarengeroBarengero Auda CityProdigy
    edited May 2013 Posts: 527
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    That's a real weird grain pattern for a Selmer top... but I think it's original, it matches the 511's.
  • Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    Nice observation Frater. It also has the same skinny or thin bridge as the 511, and script "Mod. Django Reinhardt" on the headstock. NOTE: Photos of Django's 503 and Stochelo's 504, both show block lettering on the headstock that simply say "Django Reinhardt". According to Francois Charle in his book, The Story of Selmer Maccaferri Guitars, only about 40 guitars had the Modele Django Reinhardt inscriptions, and a very few guitars with numbers close to 503 (such as Stochelo's 504) have the capital block letters. AE
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    By the way, according to the Selmer note-books the 510 shouldn't be a Django Reinhardt model... but the note-books aren't really so reliable.