DjangoBooks.com

String tensions

2»

Comments

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28
    edited April 16 Posts: 120

Hi 15 years later👋

Re: “On average I found (for Gypsy Jazz strings) "10s" of various brands put a little over 20lbs down on an "average" top (this makes assumptions about the scale length, neck angle, bridge height & bombe height) and 11s of various brands put 6-9lbs more than that.”

What’s the thinking then on bridge weight if the down-pressure is 20-30 pounds. Does a 5 or 10 gram difference in bridge weight (assuming properly fitted) make an audible difference if same bridge material stiffness if the down pressure is 20+ pounds? Asking because I’m building these days for a 25-28 bridge height w both ebony and Irw bridges and the bridge weight even with quite an under-scoop is high, as I’m trying to cut down on bridge weight (because “lighter is better” supposedly). But if down pressure is 9,000g and you shave off 5-10g, can you hear that? 🧐

My current builds clock in around 1800g strung.

*Noting: I can hear a difference btw an ebony and IRW bridge. I think it’s a stiffness/ transference material thing but possibly weight is a factor.