DjangoBooks.com

Robin Nolan Gigbook

Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
edited April 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 629
Does anybody have one of these? The individual volumes of his Playalong series are $50 a piece (so $300 for the set), and this appears to be most of it under one cover for $80. Is this correct? If so, it seems to be a good value.
Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I used to have one--it's a good collection of tunes, with basic chords and melodies on facing pages so you can lay it flat and have the whole tune in front of you. Robin uses his own style of tablature that can take some getting used to but it's no big deal in the end.

Probably the biggest difference is that the Gig book doesn't come with CDs, while the other books do. But if you're using it for jams, etc., it's far more useful. Compact, no page turning, sturdy, and the progressions are kept simple.

best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I love mine!
    Lots of must know tunes, very handy.
    I agree the TAB it's weird but I don't use it for melodies just chords.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    So it's the same as the books without the CD? I can deal with that.
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    It doesn't have the text and explanations that the books have, and the pages are much smaller, but all the tunes are there. There are actually two versions of at least one of the Nolan books, each has a few different tunes. the gig book has them all. You also don't get the play-along CD's that come with the books, but you can get something similar from Stepane Wrembel's website.
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • lgenonilgenoni ✭✭
    I am lookinbg for the RNT vol 5, it seems to be out of stock almost everywhere.
    someone can give an hint?

p.s.
    same think for the first lick book.. sigh!