DjangoBooks.com

J'attendrai

2»

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    edited July 2009 Posts: 225
    For the intro, I kind of like these two versions though not entirely authentic.

I'm not sure, but I think the first example is pretty close to Jorgenson's version. The second example is just one I like.

---------------------------
    -—8-—5-----------------
    -—9-—5—-7----9-------
    —-7-—5-—7----9-------
    -------------8---10-------
    -—8—-5---8---10-------

or......

—-------------------------
    —3-----1--—3--—4------
    —2-----2--—2—--4------
    –-2-----2--—3—--3------
    —3------------------------
    ---------------------3------

Best,
    HCQ
  • ShawnShawn Boise, Idaho✭✭✭✭
    Hey Josh27,

Apologies for not getting back with you. I've been writing a book the last few months, and it has taken up quite a bit of my free time...haven't even had much of a chance to pick up one of my guitars sadly.

I'm out on a business trip right now, but as soon as I get back home I'll try and get that file to you.

Take care,
    Shawn
  • josh27josh27 MANew
    No worries Shawn. Thanks, that would be very helpful.
  • crothcroth ✭✭
    [quote="Gadjango"]Not the extended solo intro, just the little 4 bar thing at the beginning. Upon further investigation it sounds like C6 Am7 F6 G6. Like so:

---------------------
    --8---5---3---5----
    --9---5---2---4----
    --7---5---3---5----
    --x---x---3---5----
    --8---5---1---3----

That's my guess at what it looks like Django is playing in the clip, though he plays variations on the F6 and G6 chords on the middle 3 strings.

I know this is pretty simple, but I'm new to this stuff and a lot of the voicings still throw me, no matter how simple.

Do the above chords look more correct?

- Jason[/quote]

I know this thread is old, but since I happened to be just looking for the "answer" to the very same question at this point in my playing career, I thought I'd jump in. Wouldn't it make more sense to guess that they "borrowed" the turnaround for the intro from the last 6 bars of the tune itself, which in everyones' version seems to agree to be C-A7-Dm-G7? I personally would make the Dm a Dm7, which would then be the same as the F6 noted elsewhere in this thread. Thus it becomes C-A7-Dm7-G7, a more standard jazz turnaround used in countless tunes. Since it already appears in the tune itself, it would seem to me to make more sense that it was used as the intro. Perhaps "sense" doesn't prevail here??? :-)

My next question is based on that I continue to hear that turnaround repeated throughout the tune, though I noticed in the Django video that the guitarists stop playing the turnaround and switch to straight C chords after the intro is over. Isn't the bass player continuing to play the turnaround pattern even after the guitarists abandon it?
  • MarcelMarcel New
    i always played this, looks to me this was what tchavollo is doing... C6 - Am6 - F - G7

C6........Am6..........F.........G7

----x-----------x----------x----------x---
    ----10----------5----------x----------3---
    ----9-----------5----------2----------4---
    ----10----------4----------3----------3---
    ----x-----------x----------3----------x---
    8-----------5----------1---------3-------
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    edited August 2018 Posts: 541
    try this (from Tchavolo's version, my personal favorite):
    [img][/img]jattendrai%20intro_zpspzfhuzw9.png
  • John GillJohn Gill
    I really love this tune and I enjoyed reading all the comments and seeing the various chord suggestions, etc. But I have a comment. I've been a professional musician for over 50 years and I have been very lucky to have heard and worked with many greats. My comment concerns the in-correct use of words to describe different parts of a song. It might be helpful if we were all on the same page in describing different parts of a song.

The 4 bars that are used to introduce the song is called a "VAMP". Vamps occur on most songs written from 1900-1960 and beyond. An "INTRO" is usually an 8 bar section just before the "VAMP" that appears on most popular songs. The || C | Am | Dm | G7 || thing that Django plays at the beginning of his solo would be a "VAMP" and sometimes they are repeated ad-lib. I should also mention that an "INTRO" can be 4, 8, or 12 bars, but usually they're 8 bars.

The other part of the song is called the "VERSE" it is not the bridge. Almost every popular song of the 20th century has a "VERSE" which is used to set up the "CHORUS" . Verses are frequently left out unless there's a singer involved.

A "BRIDGE" is usually an 8 bar section between the first 16 bars and the last 8 bars of a 32 bar "CHORUS". It's called a bridge because it connects the first 16 bars with the last 8 bars. Not all songs have a bridge and J'Attendrai" is an example of a popular vocal song that has no "BRIDGE". It has only a "VERSE" and a "CHORUS". Sometimes the "VERSE" is introduced later in the song but frequently appears in the beginning after the "INTRO" and "VAMP.

Many instrumental jazz and swing numbers that have no lyrics but multiple parts and use letters to label the different parts such as Part A, Part B, or "TRIO" for the third section. Instead of a "BRIDGE" some instrumental numbers have what is called an "INTERLUDE" or a "DOGFIGHT". These are usually 8 bars long and like a "BRIDGE" are used to connect different parts or "STRAINS" of an instrumental numbers.

Thanks for listening and I don't mean to sound like I know everything I just thought that my long experience in vintage popular song performance might be helpful. I thoroughly enjoy the Djangobooks forum and I read it often, and I'm a devoted Django fan.

REGARDS
    John Gill

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamst-birdJojo