DjangoBooks.com

Mateos pickup

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
Has anyone tried one of these Geronimo Mateos pickups?
http://www.geronimomateos.com/

Click on "Accesorios"

It looks like a Bigtone, but with a mini-jack on the side.
Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• TexasrockabillyrebelTexasrockabillyrebel Denton, Tx✭✭✭
    Haven't tried one. That's pretty cool. I think it would be better if the jack was on the bass side though, and then use a cable with a 90 degree tip to run it back towards the tailpiece. Where it is now it seems like you'd smack the cable a lot when playing and probably break the pickup after awhile. It's a great idea though. :)
    Playing guitar gives you cancer.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yes it's a cool idea.
    Here's a similar one being tested by Adrien Moignard on a vintage Jacques Favino:
    http://www.djangostation.com/Micro-chev ... e,997.html

It costs 150 Euro and you're supposed to provide your current bridge so they can copy it on the new one.
  • TexasrockabillyrebelTexasrockabillyrebel Denton, Tx✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's better than what I was thinking of. Nice!
    Playing guitar gives you cancer.
  • PowerfibersPowerfibers Buffalo, New YorkNew
    Yes it's a cool idea.
    Here's a similar one being tested by Adrien Moignard on a vintage Jacques Favino:
    http://www.djangostation.com/Micro-chev ... e,997.html

It costs 150 Euro and you're supposed to provide your current bridge so they can copy it on the new one.

Sounds good to me.
    Bob Maulucci
    http://www.djambossa.com
    New CD out now, "Moonflower"
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    That's an interesting solution and of course sounds amazing in the hands of Adrien and Mathieu!

A couple of interesting things....

1) They said it doesn't sound good with an AER...they recommend a tube amp which is what they are using in the demo. I've tried a regular bigtone into several tube amps before and it sounds almost exactly like this. You get that rich, fat, warm sound but a loss of detail. Definitely an "electric" type sound but sort of cool. But I'm a little baffled that it doesn't work well with an AER as in my experience the AER is THE amp for piezos. It seems to "tame" their more unruly properties so well.

2) I can't help but wonder how this setup will effect the acoustic sound of the instrument. Any modification of the bridge can have dramatic results to the acoustic sound of an instrument. Some of the poorly built bigtones can be real tone killers (although Dupont's design seems to have little or no effect). Seems like the addition of the jack in the bridge might cause some loss of acoustic sound. Won't know till I try one!

Having the external "no drilling" mount is pretty cool, especially for vintage guitars!

Anyway, thanks for posting this Enrique!

'm
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Enrique who?
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    klaatu wrote:
    Enrique who?

aka bluesbop harry

BTW, I'll be getting some of the Patrick Inghilleri pickups soon. I'll post something about them once they are in stock.

'm
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Yeah my name's Enrique, I came up with BluesBop Harry when I signed on this forum because my first 3 or so tries were taken, Harry is one way you could translate my name. When I met Ted Gotssegen and told him my screen name he laughed and said he imagined I would be a middle aged bald guy with a big gut!... I'm not.

Michael that sounds cool Did you order them with the Dupont heights?
    I might want one.
    Michael that sounds cool Did you order them with the Dupont heights?
    I might want one.

Yes...#1 and #2
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    When I met Ted Gotssegen and told him my screen name he laughed and said he imagined I would be a middle aged bald guy with a big gut!... I'm not.

I assume that about everyone on these forums until proved wrong.