DjangoBooks.com

Freddy Taylor version of "Viper's Dream"

djangadjodjangadjo NebraskaNew
edited April 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 38
Trying to find a reissue of Freddy Taylor version of "Viper's Dream"

?Freddy Taylor and Bill Coleman?
[http://www.parisjazzcorner.com/en/dis_fiche.php?ArtNum=64035]

?Freddy Taylor and Oscar Aleman?

anyway, I think there is a version recorded before Django recorded his, and I'd like to get a copy of the recording.[/url]
87 Rue de Dunkerque: "The bow must go up and down."

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    What's the story on Freddie Taylor? I've been unable to turn up any information on him.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • djangadjodjangadjo NebraskaNew
    This is what I've found:
    http://oscar-aleman.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... sions.html

Freddy Taylor was a black tap dancer, singer, trumpeter and entertainer, who had come to Paris with the Lucky Millinder orchestra during the band's 1933 tour of Europe. Taylor stayed in Paris and soon formed his own band, which he named Freddy Taylor & His Swing Men From Harlem. At the same time Taylor was running his own club at Montmartre and often left the band on its own while he worked as a soloist throughout the Continent. In Paris Taylor recorded as a vocalist with Django Reinhardt and the QHCF in 1936 - these sides belong to his most well known, scholars of the QHCF recorded legacy probably will mention "Nagasaki" and "I Can't Give You Anything But Love, Baby" as core examples, both recorded 1936. However, Freddy Taylor also recorded with his own group, the Swing Men From Harlem, in March 1935.
    87 Rue de Dunkerque: "The bow must go up and down."
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Cool, thanks, that's way more than I knew about him.
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles