DjangoBooks.com

samois for newbies..

rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
edited June 2014 in Europe Posts: 605
This will be my 5th time this year so I have a few tips for some of you who have never been before..

1)Bring mosquito spray
2)Walk down past Chez Fernand and there is a bit of a picnick area beside the Seine (its safe to swim)..the weeds feel a bit weird on your feet though..
3)Chez Fernand does great food and its actually pretty cheap.
4)Mathieu CHATELAIN lives nearly next door to it.(Selmer 607)
5)Don't be intimidated-although the standard is usually really high there's also total beginers wanting to jam. Like me!
6)The paella on the island is reallllly good.
7)Its cheaper to go onto the island in a group as there is a special discount for groups-and students.
8)If you want to drink on the island you better like Rose wine and very expensive half pints of beer. 8) My advice? Get jolly in your tent first.I know I am a sterotypical Irishman.
9)Taxis from Samois are rarer than hens teeth.fountainbleu well worth a visit though-rent a rowing boat behind the chateau with your partner, tres romantic.
10)Get ready for the best weekend of your life.
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
Tagged:

Comments

• TollundmandenTollundmanden DenmarkNew
    After this years Samois I have a little correction to make to your fine list of tips.
    I found out on the last day last year that they'll let you bring your own drinks onto the island as long as it is not in a glass bottle. Canned beer and anything in plastic is fine. I presume you'd even be able to get a 5 liter BIB of red wine through if you are that thirsty.

I must second your tip about Chez Fernand, the food is excellent and not too pricey. For dinner, get in before 7'o clock for a better chance to get a table after 8 the place was fully packed and people were sitting on the rails along the Seine waiting for a table.
  • rimmrimm Ireland✭✭✭✭ Paul doyle D hole, washburn washington
    Bump
    I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 4
    So... I'll be heading to Samois is for the first time this year and camping. Which campsite do you reccommend?

I've heard Le Petite Barbeau is good, but it's not listed on the site. Is it possible to reserve a campsite there?

Good to hear there will be newbies like me as well!
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Petite Barbeau is good but hard to book as it seems to change hands and doesn't always publicise that it's open. Here's a link but I have no idea how up to date this is http://www.samois-sur-seine.fr/rubrique.php?id=67

Like the other questionner I'd head to the Samois Going Djangophiles group at Facebook.

A
    always learning
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    http://www.maisonsdubornage.fr
    Email - [email protected]

This is a more up to date site for barbeau I think and I managed to get one of there caravans this year. When I contacted them they said they were building two new log cabins thus year but could not give me a price, should be cool in one of them! Still if anyone sees a gang of Liverpool guys in a caravan come say hi. B-)
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
    I sent an email to that address yesterday, how did you contact them? Did they take a while to respond? Did they speak english? Crossing my fingers I can get a spot at petite barbeau, if I get one I'll definitely stop by!
  • edpryceedpryce
    They took two days to reply to my email.
    I used this address

[email protected]

I tried calling on the phone but they didnt speak english and my attempts at french were embarrasing for all concerned
  • Micky DunneMicky Dunne Liverpool UK✭✭✭✭ Olivier Marin, JWC Modele Orchestre, AJL La Flasque
    Yeah unfortunately the guy (adrien I think) doesn't speak English. I had a French speaking friend call them. Good luck
    Fast and bulbous

www.manouchetones.com
    I finally got a site, just had to call them 3 days in a row to get them to respond to my email! I actually got a hold of an English speaking person, thank god!
    Micky Dunne