DjangoBooks.com

Hand Angle

edited April 2009 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 19
When I hold the pick my wrist position results in my thumb pointing towards the guitar to such an extent that the thumb nail keeps catching on the strings. Should I flatten the wrist so the thumb is more like parallel with the strings to prevent this?

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a really long nail? Like maybe you fingerpick some other styles? I catch some of the meat of my thumb--on purpose--but have never had trouble with the nail. If you don't have a long nail, it might be related to how you're holding the pick, as opposed to the wrist angle.

best,
    Jack.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I'd avoid flattening the wrist....sounds like you may need to experiment with your pick grip.

I get a callous on the side of the my thumb...but far from the nail. Below the first joint...
    I get a callous on the side of the my thumb...but far from the nail. Below the first joint...

I think I may be pushing the wrist out too much. Michael - is the callous right at the base of the thumb, because I can feel it rubbing against the strings there now? Thanks...
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    yes...at the base.