DjangoBooks.com

Home recording - next steps?

vbakhmetvbakhmet SeattleNew
edited May 2009 in Recording Posts: 21
I am choosing the next steps for improving my home recording studio.
Now I have Schertler BASIC (Set & Pro combination) and Presonus Inspire 1394 Audio Interface.
I primarily play (and sometimes sing) non-gypsy music and practicing in Django style as well (D500) . There is no goal for live performances, so I am talking about home recording only. I connect and disconnect everything every time when I want to record music, so smaller number of connections is a plus for me (but not the primary factor).

I use BASIC pickup with power adaper, connected to 1/4 instrument input on Inspire. The sound from this configuration is pretty silent, but if I increase gain on the interface it introduces some distortion effect. Interface's preamps don't work well with BASIC. BASIC + XLR power adapter/converter works in this case even worse. If I understood earlier Michael's explanations here on the forum correctly, I should use one of the Schertler's electrostatic preamps with BASIC.

I see the following options available:

I. Continue Schertler-focused way.
1. Use Schertler Stat-Pre ($175+tax). Better signal level, somewhat "dry" sound
2. Use Schertler PRE AIII ($305+tax). Better signal level, sound control, but more expensive than other solutions.

II. Switch from Schertler to something else.
3. Use Audio Technica's Lavaliere Mic. $100. Pros/Cons? Is it comparable to BASIC+Stat-Pre or BASIC+Pre III taking into account my conditions (recording only, no problems with feedback, a lot of EQ options in software (Sonar Studio))
4. Buy a couple of decent "external" condenser instrument mics (probably around $150-$200). It looks like the best quality solution + adds stereo recording, but for the price of mobility/setup time/convenience.
5. Anything else?

Which solution would you recommend?
Thanks in advance,
Vlad

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I have done some recording with the AT 70 mic and I can tell you it works really well. It doesn't need much EQ if any, and your sound is consistent since it's attached to the guitar, you can move around and it still picks you up the same.
    It's a mic so it's definitely gonna sound more natural than any pickup and it's relatively inexpensive.
  • Matthias LenzMatthias Lenz Lucklum, GermanyNew
    I´d also recommend the use of microphones instead of pickups.
    Pickups always sound unnatural, whereas even cheaper microphones give you a natural and pleasant sound.
  • vbakhmetvbakhmet SeattleNew
    Using BASIK with non-Schertler preamps

Does it work? Which preamps can be used with BASIK?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    The Basik is an elctrostatic pickup so it can only be used with the Stat Pre or PRE AIII.

'm
  • vbakhmetvbakhmet SeattleNew
    Does Pre AIII require external DC 12V? No batteries?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Yes, the PRE AIII needs to be plugged in.