DjangoBooks.com

I Saw Stars

edited May 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 67
Hi, has anyone got a tab for the really early original Hotclub Version of I saw Stars, or know where I can find one please?

Comments

• this search for a tab seems the only result on google, so i guess a lot of people keep arriving here. the problem will really start when you try and play the descending triplets run near the end of his solo, from tab, notation or using your ears. He obviously practised this over and over, bit like the Eddie Lang descending run at the beginning of kisses but way more difficult(impossible for us mortals) due to crossing strings. If you can't do this run super clean and even, not slappyslapbuzzcouldbeanynote manouche, ( never heard anyone do it apart from django) what use is the tab!! Anyone want to record a fun little demo of their own attempt?
  • Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
    This does not answer directly your posts, but if you have Ben Givan's collections of Django's solos, he transcribed the one from Rome 1949. As this is too far apart from the 1934 version, the solos are quite different.
    MikeK
    - JG
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited August 2022 Posts: 1,855

I've been working on those amazingly fast triplets from the 1934 version.

Not that I'm expecting to ever be able to play them at speed. Just to get an insight into Django's dazzling imagination and technique.

Below are two slowed down versions of the lick in case anybody else is interested in working on this.

The way I make it out, it is a DDU pattern on the two top strings, with a new note on each U stroke...

D..... D..... U

B17 E15 E13

B15 E13 E12

B13 E12 E10

B12 E10 E8

B10 E8 E7

There's obviously a lot more but this is a start anyway!

Will

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • tasmantasman New

try Posglov Tabs

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Wow, thanks, tasman.

Your tag says that you live in Australia.

May I extend my regrets for the recent passing of Olivia Newton-John and the wonderful Judith Durham.

Will

MikeK
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."