DjangoBooks.com

Samois 2009

infidelinfidel Canberra, AustraliaNew
edited June 2009 in Europe Posts: 6
I've jumped into the deep end and decided to go to Samois for this year's festival (2009). I'm from Australia/Singapore. I've never been to Europe. I don't speak French. I'm hoping someone on this forum can hold my hand and suggest accommodation and other info on getting there from Paris. I'm hoping to travel on a very low budget.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Great that you're going!!
    You can stay at "Le petit Barbeau" which is the camping site right on Samois, about 15 mins walk to the festival site (ille de Berceau)
    You can make reservations here:
    http://www.abccamping.com/barbeauuk.htm
    they usually reply by snail mail.

From Paris you need to go to the Gare de Lyon and buy a ticket to Fontainebleau-Avon, once there you take a bus and say you want to go to Samois and ask that they point the way to the camping. When walking from where the bus will leave you to Petit Barbeau you'll pass a gypsy campsite on your right but that's not the camping site, just keep walking until you get to Barbeau.

I suggest learning at least a little bit of french or things will be much harder, especially the traveling.

Best of luck and hope to see you there!!

http://www.festivaldjangoreinhardt.com/ ... cle/rub/17

http://www.festivaldjangoreinhardt.com/ ... cle/rub/13
  • infidelinfidel Canberra, AustraliaNew
    Is anyone else from this forum going that I could possibly share car-hire and camping costs? I could bring a small tent all the way from Australia or I could try borrowing a larger tent from one of my French friends.

I am about to put in a reservation for just one tent-space with no car or caravan at the Petit Barbaeu campsite.

A little bit about myself: I'm not a total Manouche maniac yet. But I'm quite enthusiastic. I don't own a Selmer copy yet (maybe I'll buy one in Samois). I can only play from memory the changes and heads to a few manouche standards, and copy a few licks from the Robin Nolan lick book. In the last few years I've mostly been playing bossa nova. Though in the last month I caught a ukulele bug and I've bought two ukuleles. Sweet Georgia Brown on ukulele with la pompe? Anyone? I'll probably re-catch the Manouche bug while I'm in Samois.

Jay
  • EwanEwan Brisbane Qld AustraliaNew
    Hi Jay

I'm Ewan MacKenzie _ I run the OzManouche Festival in Brisbane last weekend of November each year and play in a couple of Manouche groups - Mystery Pacific and Paris Dreaming - we've played the National Folk Festival the last few years.
    I know for certain that Wim Glenn from Canberra is going, also Jamie Twyford from Woollongong, Caley Groves and Jules Brunton from Melbourne, Daniel Weltlinger from Sydney who plays in Lulo Reinhardt's group will be there - if you go to http://www.ozmanouche.com and go to the forum you could email Wim and find out his plans. A little French is a good thing - make the effort, they appreciate it - I went in 2005 and may even be there this year..:-)

good to hear of another (maybe) convert in OZ!!
    have fun!!
    Ewan
    Yes. Wim is a friend of mine. We've been jamming here in Canberra off and on since August 2008. But I play mostly Bossa Nova and only know a few Manouche changes and heads by heart. I don't even own a Selmer copy.

I've just received confirmation of my camping booking at Petit Barbeau. The next thing would be to book car hire. Would be great if I could share with someone. I'm wondering if Wim would be interested. Got to ask him.

Jay
    Hmm... Now I've booked a car.

I guess I'm no longer on a 'very low budget' but a 'medium budget' now...

What next?
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi there I stayed in Le P. Barbeau last year and it's fine but slightly limited in terms of buying food and stuff so... just outside Samois on the way to Samoreau there is a LIDL supermarket ( although it could be an ALDIs )
    anyway its one of the discount stores and you can stock up on water, fruit, cheese, croissants, beers etc really cheaply. They also do toiletries and stuff so.

One good thing I noticed was that parking was pretty good in Samois, with a huge field just 5 minutes from the festival island set aside for the purpose.
    Just watch the roads going through Samois itself, they can be a bit narrow and twisty but the drives around Samois to Samoreau, to Hericy and Fountaniebleu and through the forest are a joy.

So, enjoy Samois but don't expect to pick up any cheap guitars there, although you never know.....
    always learning
    Thanks crookedpinky!

The itinerary now:

I'll be missing Thursday as I will still be in the French Alps at a conference. Friday morning I'll be on the TGV back to Paris. Then, pick up the rental car. Pick up borrowed tent and sleeping bag. Then drive to Samois. On the way, pick up groceries. Get to Petit Barbaeu. Set up tent. Look for compatriots and other friendlies. Go to the festival. Later that night: Look for jammers... Maybe get back to Petit Barbaeu to sleep. Sleep???? Is it possible?

Saturday?

Sunday?

Monday: shake myself out of a state of zombie sleeplessness/drunkenness/festival-fullness? Get back to Paris to return car...

What next? Be a tourist in Paris...

Unless I bring myself to fork out the stash of cash needed to go to Monaco for the start of the Tour de France... If I haven't already spent it on a Selmer copy...
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Depending on your budget you can get a Selmer type for 300 - 4000 euros.
    An Aria is 300 at Paris and the big luthiers are far more expensive, there's Mateos, Castellucia and the Dupont Nomade in the middle.

At Barbeau jams are rare past 3 at night so you can get some sleep then.

Hope to see you there!!
  • HennoxLaneHennoxLane Leuven, BelgiumNew
    oh nooo... I so wanted to go there, but I just saw that it ends right before my examination period is over.

This is a real bummer :(
  • EwanEwan Brisbane Qld AustraliaNew
    Jay - I'll be there if you can make it.
    it'll be great!
    staying the mercure in fontainebleau.
    seeya maaaaaate!
    ewan