DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest Colorado 2009

djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
edited August 2009 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 249
Is there any word on another DF in Colorado? Is it happening? If so, any idea who might play?

Comments

• Archtop EddyArchtop Eddy Manitou Springs, ColoradoModerator
    I posted the below response about two weeks ago within the DFCrested Butte 2008 thread, however, it probably fits here better. I hope to get more info soon and will update accordingly.

A.E.

Spoke with Nick this week, and YES! there will be a Djangofest Crested Butte 09! Plans and details are still in the works, however, a few points seem to be solid. It is slated for Labor Day Weekend this year (which will be a lot warmer -- best time of the year in the Rockies!); and headliners slated for this year are Andreas Oberg, Kruno Spisic, and Alfonso Ponticelli and Swing Gitan. This is a killer lineup of some great guitar players! From Colorado, thus far, is Dave Williams and Deco Django, and Mango fan Django. There might be more groups -- still to be determined. Andreas, Kruno, Alfonso and Kevin Nolan are slated to host guitar workshops. It will be a great place to get one-on-one with some of the best teachers around.

Last year was fantastic. The location is excellent in both natural beauty and resources at Crested Butte. Tons of good places to eat, party and jam. It's like the secret Djangofest where you get to meet top artists with just a handful of your friends. Everyone who attended, I think would tell you the same.

As I get more info, I'll let you know. Also, watch for postings on www.djangofest.com

A.E.

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Thanks for the update Eddy... I'm really looking forward to this!
    Okay, fellow-Gypsy-jammin-maniacs!

Here's some updates about 2009 Djangofest Colorado, Labor Day weekend, Sept 5 and 6. It's less than a month away and will be here sooner than we know! Most of the information below is from a press release by the Crested Butte folks. Since it covers a great deal of detail, I didn't see a reason to rewrite it.

Also note: Hot Club Sandwich has joined the lineup! Yippie-ayee!!

Bottomline: This is going to be a great event, and a great chance to meet and learn from some of the top Gypsy jazz players and teachers. There will be classes by Andreas Oberg, Kevin Nolan, Alphonso Ponticelli, Kruno, Simon Planting (bass) and Jason Anick (violin) and more! There will be tons of great things for families to do as well (see below or check the Crested Butte websites).

I highly encourage you to get this on your schedule and book rooms and tickets soon. You will thank yourself later!. Now on to the press release.

DjangoFest Colorado returns to Mt. Crested Butte
    Concerts & workshops slated for Labor Day weekend, Sept. 5 – 6

CRESTED BUTTE, Colo. (July 31, 2009) — September 5-6, 2009 DjangoFest returns to Mt Crested Butte, CO for a Labor Day weekend festival that celebrates the music and spirit of the great French/Belgian Gypsy guitarist, Django Reinhardt. DjangoFest Colorado is a unique opportunity for music lovers, Gypsy Jazz fans, players and enthusiasts from around the globe, to congregate in the beautiful mountains of Crested Butte, while attending an extraordinary series of concerts and workshops by top internationally renowned players.

Don’t be surprised when impromptu "djam" sessions pop up wherever one turns, as the Mt. Crested Butte Town Center gets into the swing of things. In addition to the concerts and workshops mentioned below, Jason Anick will be accompanied by Kevin Nolan at a performance at Django’s Restaurant & Wine Bar on Sept. 6 from 5 – 7 p.m.

Come help us celebrate the second annual DjangoFest in this breathtakingly beautiful location. The festivities take place at the Mt Crested Butte Town Center in Crested Butte, CO.

Concerts, Lodge at Mountaineer Square

Saturday, Sept. 5, 8 p.m.

Hot Club Sandwich

Kruno with Kevin Nolan & Simon Planting

Cost: $32

Sunday, Sept. 6, 3 p.m.

Deco Django

Alfonso Ponticelli & Swing Gitan

Cost: $28

Sunday, Sept. 6, 8 p.m.

Mango Fan Django

Andreas Oberg with special guest Kruno

Jason Anick with Kevin Nolan & Simon Planting

Cost: $32

Workshops, Grand Lodge, Mt Crested Butte

Several two-hour workshops will be offered on Sept. 5 and 6 for both novice and experienced guitar players, giving them the opportunity to learn from Kevin Nolan, Kruno, Simon Planting, Alfonso Ponticelli, Tony Ballog, Juliano Milo, Beau Sample, Andreas Oberg and Jason Anick.

For times and specific details about workshops, go to www.djangofestcolorado.com. The cost is $40 per session.

Tickets, Lodging & Information

DjangoFest Colorado is sponsored by the Mt. Crested Butte Town Center Community Association. Visit www.djangofestcolorado.com for artist bios, tickets and more.

Stay right at the heart of the festival at the Lodge at Mountaineer Square in Mt. Crested Butte and also get tickets to all three performances for just $199 per person. Package price is based on double occupancy and can be reserved by calling Crested Butte Vacations at (800) 600-2803 or visiting www.skicb.com.

If you are planning to attend alone or wish to only stay only one night, there are special rates also available at this time. They may disappear as we get closer to the festival dates, so call Crested Butte Vacations to check and book your stay.

About Gunnison-Crested Butte, Colorado

Gunnison-Crested Butte is nestled among almost two million acres of pristine wilderness in southwest Colorado. Winter sports enthusiasts know the area for its world-class alpine skiing and snowboarding at Crested Butte Mountain Resort, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing and ice fishing. Gunnison-Crested Butte is also a haven for outdoor summer activities. In the warmer months, visitors can choose from recreational activities such as hiking, climbing, mountain biking, boating, whitewater rafting, kayaking, fly-fishing, camping and horseback riding. Year-round visitors enjoy distinctive restaurants, unique shops and stimulating cultural opportunities, and have a wide range of lodging options — from rustic inns to guest cabins and bed-and-breakfasts to full-service resort hotels.

Recognized as the "Official Wildflower Capital of Colorado" by the Colorado Legislature and one of the National Trust for Historic Preservation’s "Dozen Distinctive Destinations" in 2008, Crested Butte is the site of rich mining, ranching and skiing heritage and home to the Crested Butte Mountain Heritage Museum and Mountain Bike Hall of Fame.

Only three miles up the road is the resort village of Mt. Crested Butte, home to the ski area, an active base area, the area’s conference center, and outstanding hiking and biking trails.

Gunnison, a real western town located 28 miles from Crested Butte, is home to the Gunnison-Crested Butte Regional Airport, Gunnison Whitewater Park, Gunnison Valley Observatory, Pioneer Museum and Western State College, a four-year institution offering majors in the liberal arts and sciences and professional fields. Both Crested Butte and Gunnison have thriving historic central business districts packed with shopping and dining opportunities.

In Gunnison County, visitors will find the Curecanti National Recreation Area, where dinosaur fossils were recently discovered; the Blue Mesa Reservoir, Colorado’s largest body of water and home to the largest Kokanee salmon fishery in the United States; and The Black Canyon of the Gunnison, one of our country’s newest national parks. Gunnison County includes the quaint and historic towns of Pitkin, Gothic, Tin Cup, Marble, Powderhorn, Almont and Crystal, plus the better-known communities of Gunnison, Crested Butte and Mt. Crested Butte. Gunnison County is part of the West Elk Loop and Silver Thread Scenic & Historic Byways.

A.E.

(If you have questions about logistics, check the QA section in the previous thread from the 2008 Djangofest Crested Butte. While the artists have changed and some of the prices have changed, information about how to get there, how long it takes, etc., is still the same.)
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Don't miss Hot Club Sandwich! If I were only at my sister's house in Golden, I'd travel out there....
    We (Mango fan Django) played an outdoor gig yesterday in Crested Butte as part of their summer music fest. It was a great chance to talk up the Djangofest Colorado slated for Labor Day Weekend in the lodge just a couple of hundred yards from the festival site. There were about 300 people there and they were very receptive to the GJ sampling we gave them. The weather was absolutely perfect - cool, crisp mountain air. The lodging and food was excellent, and following our performance -- as we walked around town -- people kept approaching us to personally thank us for the music. It was like being Robin Nolan for the day! Anyways, I post this not to boast about our gig, but to let you know the sampling we gave to Crested Butte went both ways -- we were able to again sample CB's great hospitality and enthusiasm. It left us with a buzz. I hope folks who can make it to the Djangofest Colorado in a couple of weeks make the effort to do so. It really is a special event in a very unique locale.

Attached are two iPhone photos I shot at Cottonwood Pass using a Pano applet. This is about 50 miles from Crested Butte and shows just how beautiful this area of Colorado is.

AE
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Hey AE - looks amazing - I'll be there if you can answer yes to the following 2 questions:

1) will Fapy be there?
    2) is there a Jerk chicken tent?

:wink:

if no, I need to save my bucks for DFNW and look forward to seeing you there!

Hope you have a great time and it's a huge success!

cheers

Phil :D
  • colorado_hickcolorado_hick Hotchkiss Colorado✭✭
    The line up looks to good to miss, but I am not sure about spending the weekend at the town center. It is kind of expensive and upscale for the likes of me.
    Any one else going (players and/or families) that is seeking other accommodations? Maybe we can take over a campground and start or own little 'Petit Barbeau'