DjangoBooks.com

SOLD: Beautiful SHORT SCALE Dell'Arte 14 fret D hole

2»

Comments

• klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Wait, I just did the math. It's almost as big as the Epi after all (lacks 1/4"). Holy crap, that's one big gypsy guitar!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You should definitely measure it when you get it....I also wonder if AJ's measurements on the site are a bit off. His Selmer models are listed as being 410mm, but Selmers were built at 400mm. So maybe he just has a different way of measuring body width. Or maybe he just builds 'em big for those tall Scandinavians!

'm
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Could be - maybe he thinks all gypsy guitarists look like Andreas!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    dunno about measurements (guitar measurements don't interest me as much as... ahem)...

anyway, this guitar is getting better and better.... i was in NYC last week with teddy G, and got to try his favinos.... the AJL that Ben bought sounds just like Ted's favinos... AJ did a great job
    You should definitely measure it when you get it....I also wonder if AJ's measurements on the site are a bit off. His Selmer models are listed as being 410mm, but Selmers were built at 400mm. So maybe he just has a different way of measuring body width. Or maybe he just builds 'em big for those tall Scandinavians!

'm

I measured it - it's 425, all right. One big guitar, with a huge sound.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Man, you guys sure make folks like me sick with envy. I mean that in a good way. Heck, I'm still saving for a starter GJ guitar, and you guys have these guitars that make me salivate. The AJL site is worth visiting just to see the craftsmanship available to those who have the $$$. If I didn't have kids in college, mortgage, and 2 car payment, I'd lay down the $$$ for one, they are beautiful!!!

Michael, how about a forum to let folks show their instruments, specifics, and their comments. Might be helpful for others in evaluating their choices, and options?

Wish all the best with you new guitar, and best to those with your old ones, too!
    I was very fortunate to get this one secondhand via Denis at a very attractive price before it went back to AJL. No way I could afford a new AJL right now.

Yes, the craftsmanship is superb, and the sound is truly awesome. The Gallato I liked so much a week ago sounds anemic now.

Even for those not in the market for one of these, it's worth reading Ari-Jukka's philosophy and approach to guitar building on his Website (under "Luthier").
    Benny

-- Orson Welles
  • wayne nakamurawayne nakamura ✭✭✭✭
    Ben:

Happy to hear you got the new guitar.

What do you think?

I thought it looked big when I first saw it in Montreal.

cheers

wayne
    Hi Wayne,

Yes, I did receive it. There are some issues with the condition that I am trying to work out with AJ (not his fault, possibly related to earlier shipping).

That said, the sound is stunning. To my ear, it's the best-sounding Favino style guitar I've heard or played (except for maybe the one Rodrigo Shopis had at Django in June this year). Very powerful, growly bass, and ringing highs, but without that unpleasant (to me, anyway) banjo-on-steroids quality that some Favino clones seem to have. It's really loud, kind of rip-your-face-off loud.

And yes, it's big, the lower bout is 425mm instead of the usual 420, although it has a 670mm scale instead of the Favino 675 (which suits me just fine).

I've shown it to two top luthiers locally, and both were very impressed with the build quality.

It makes my other gypsy guitars sound anemic. I have to not play them after playing the AJL.

Cheers back at ya

Ben
    Benny

-- Orson Welles