DjangoBooks.com

Open Low E fret buzz - DG300 - suggestions?

PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
Hi all -

First of all, admitting my complete newness to the style after 35 years away from all playing.

Proud owner of a DG-300, arrived today. Love the feel already. The only drawback that I can tell so far is fret buzz on the 6th string, and only when played open. I have tried to see some specific suggestions for this, but I have so far missed it - anything a newb can attempt, or is this something I should try to find a luthier (in Chicago) to cure? Strings on board are D'Addarios, likely switching to Alvarez.

Thanks.

Paul
-Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

Comments

• Swing 69Swing 69 ScotlandNew
    Could be the nut, check neck relief and your action should be (as a guide and good starting point) 3mm at 12th fret (measured between top of fret and bottom of 6th string, however everyone is different and everyone likes different things.
    Have a look at these things, I'm in no way an expert but there are people here who can help you with this I'm sure
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Whenever I put new strings on my DG300 (Argentines), the low E buzzes for a day or two, and then it goes away. Crazy, huh?
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys. Well, something I just noticed - the nut is slid slightly off center, towards the low-e. Don't know what happened, but imagine this is a quick fix - I was actually able to slide the nut back to center, not sure why it moves so easily. Still getting buzz. I'm going to put some Argentine lights.

By the way, Gregor, any thoughts on choosing a ball or loop end, as the trapeze handles both? I'm thinking of the 1510MF, light loop end (even though the D'Addarios on there now are medium gauge, ball end).
    -Paul

• gitpickergitpicker Beijing/San Francisco✭✭✭✭ Gibson, Favino, Eastman
    This happened to me once on a guitar and I found that the slot for the 6th string on the string guide (nut) was not quite deep enough so I carved it out a tad deeper so the string rested on the zero fret better and it took care of the buzz completely. That "might" be the problem with yours.

Good luck!
    www.dougmartinguitar.com
    Live life and play music like it's your last day on earth. One day you'll be right- Russel Malone
    I just measured at the 12th fret, about 3.2 mm action. I thought about going with John Pearse nuage, but our local store has some savarez on sale that I will replace with - 10's. Perhaps this will cure it...will see. Thanks for the thoughts again, everyone.
    -Paul

• djakedjake New
    Hi all -

First of all, admitting my complete newness to the style after 35 years away from all playing.

Proud owner of a DG-300, arrived today. Love the feel already. The only drawback that I can tell so far is fret buzz on the 6th string, and only when played open. I have tried to see some specific suggestions for this, but I have so far missed it - anything a newb can attempt, or is this something I should try to find a luthier (in Chicago) to cure? Strings on board are D'Addarios, likely switching to Alvarez.

Thanks.

Paul

I had the same problem on my d500.On the advice of my luthier, I loosened strings, then slid a very thin plectrum under one side of the bridge,to lift it slightly..problem solved.
    please note..seasonal climate changes might necessitate slight alterations,from time to time.
    all the best Jake
    djake wrote:
    Hi all -

Thanks.

Paul

I had the same problem on my d500.On the advice of my luthier, I loosened strings, then slid a very thin plectrum under one side of the bridge,to lift it slightly..problem solved.
    please note..seasonal climate changes might necessitate slight alterations,from time to time.
    all the best Jake

Timing is everything, Jake -

Ironically enough, just took it in to our local place, and playing it there, it buzzed quite a bit, now, playing it down the fretboard - open low E, but in addition, lower registers on many strings were buzzing.

Higher frets were fine, but anywhere back of the 7th or so, quite a bit of buzz, on many strings. Drag....they suggest I send it in for a full setup with their repair guy, but I guess I've got some nerves about this - the shop doesn't really deal in GJ guitars, (though the place has an outstanding reputation otherwise - Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago) and when he starts talking about filing frets, etc., I guess I'm a bit dodgy.

Can anyone tell me - a $50-$60 "setup" from a reputable place - something they recommend? I've read here - think it was one of Michael's posts - that the DG-300 customarily needs a setup, but once done, it is really worth it. Any thoughts?
    -Paul

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    edited June 2009 Posts: 225
    Hi,

In adjusting guitars there are genereal rules of thumb.

If the buzzing occurs between the 1st and 5th frets its the truss that has to be loosened as the neck is slightly back bowed. A little bit of adjustment goes a long way at this area of the neck. At least try this first before e determining if there any other steps that might be needed.

Lots of things can contribute to back bow. For example, switching to lighter gauge strings, temperature/climate changes.

Not a big deal to do, just make sure you have the correct sized wrench as you do not want strip the adjustment bolt on the truss rod in any way.

Good luck,
    HCQ
    HCQ wrote:
    Hi,

In adjusting guitars there are genereal rules of thumb.

If the buzzing occurs between the 1st and 5th frets its the truss that has to be loosened as the neck is slightly back bowed. A little bit of adjustment goes a long way at this area of the neck. At least try this first before e determining if there any other steps that might be needed.

Lots of things can contributed to back bow. For example, switching to lighter gauge strings, temperature/climate changes.

Not a big deal to do, just make sure you have the correct sized wrench as you do not want strip the adjustment bolt on the truss rod in any way.

Good luck,

Thanks, HCQ - just did a relief check on the guitar, and pinching off the first fret and 14th, there is no gap at the 6th - am I right, this is a classic sign of too tight a neck, as you're saying, no relief and back bow (esp. with the low register buzz, as you're saying)?
    -Paul

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Pinching the string as you did is a classic check for neck relief. That means that if also you sight down the neck with either E string unpinched, the fingerboard will look curved upwards from the guitar top's horizontal plane as compared to the string which is straight.

My experience is that Sel/Mac guitars need a bit of forward bow than other types of guitars.

The lower regsiter fret buzzing and subsequent truss rod adjusting is a personal thing in that everybody plays a guitar differently. Start by inserting a correct sized truss rod or Allen wrench and note your starting point. Loosen the rod (very) gradually, tuning up every time and play the way you do usually. After a couple of iterations you will find a comfortable lower register action with no buzzing.

Don't be surprised that after a couple of days the adjustment might move a little bit as that is normal. In a little time you will have this adjusted properly. Just go slow.

Most of my necks need adjustments seasonally, like Winter/Spring and Summer/Fall, as climate changes.
    HCQ