DjangoBooks.com

Stop or Folie a amphion?

kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in History Posts: 170
Two different tunes by Django were released as Folie à Amphion in 1947. Max Robin's and Jean-Phillippe Watremez' book on Djangos compositions (The Ultimate Django's Book) says the correct title for the first one should have been Stop, but it got named wrongly because of a mixup with disc cover bags or something...

Stop has been distributed as Folie à amphion in numerous LPs and CDs, incl. classic double Pêche à la mouche and Fremeaux' Intégrale-series, so this finding must be fairly new. It has also been recorded by others as Folie, so this title really has stuck.

I have no reason to question Robin's or Watremez' reliability on this matter - on the contrary. Also, Teddy Dupond states it in this thread:
viewtopic.php?t=4873

I still would like some more background data about this:

-When was it discovered and by whom, what the original title should have been?
-What evidence is this info based on?

And finally a quick survey:
If you were to record this tune, what would you print in the CD cover? Why?

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    "The Utimate Django's Book" had a significant input from Alain Antonietto and he is usually pretty accurate on this stuff. I am assuming the sheet music on page 223 of "Pour Que Ma Vie Demeure" & "Stop" came from Antonietto; the contents of which would presumably confirm the matter one way or another. I'll ask him the next time I contact him.

This information must have emerged generally only quite recently as even Daniel Nevers got it wrong.

If you are recording the 6th July version, I would strongly suggest you call it "Stop". You could always add a qualifier something like "Stop (aka Folies à Amphion)".
  • kimmokimmo Helsinki, Finland✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Teddy!
    "The Utimate Django's Book" had a significant input from Alain Antonietto and he is usually pretty accurate on this stuff.
    --
    This information must have emerged generally only quite recently as even Daniel Nevers got it wrong..

I should have guessed Antonietto (it's maybe even mentioned somewhere in the book). The question still remains: where did this new evidence emerge from, if even he only recently found it.
    If you are recording the 6th July version, I would strongly suggest you call it "Stop". You could always add a qualifier something like "Stop (aka Folies à Amphion)".

And that's 1-0 for Stop.