DjangoBooks.com

What about the other acoustic amps for Gypsy Jazz

Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
Conspicuous by their absence in amplifier discussions for Gypsy style jazz and their guitars are the other acoustic amp makers. Specifically Trace Elliot and SWR California series amps. Are they not good for this style? Too big? I've seen photos of Gypsy players with Trace Elliots and I know Jorgensen used to use a California Blonde (though unclear if it was for GJ). What are the Cons and Pros for anyone that has experience with these. I also see more players using the Roland AC-60 any comments on these (besides being relatively inexpensive)?

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Generally the Trace Elliots have fallen way behind the other manufacturers...they dominated the acoustic amp market back in the 90s but their stuff generally sounds harsher then what you can get today: AER, Schertler, Acoustic Image, etc.

I owned a California Blonde over 10 years ago...way to boomy and very prone to feedback. I sold it...

'm
    DoubleWhisky
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    I also see more players using the Roland AC-60 any comments on these (besides being relatively inexpensive)?

I don't own one, but play with several people who have used them on violin, guitar, vocal. From what can tell, they are really inexpensive, light, versatile, plenty loud. They sound quite good with archtops with magnetic pickups, as well as acoustic . (Not so with, e.g., Schertler.) They have two channels, including mic input with 48 v phantom power. They are not finicky about pickups. You can mount it on a stand, or kick it back if on the floor. Basically, they are perfectly adequate in wide range of applications. They are like $300 or something used. They just aren't as hi-fi as some of the other choices.

Mike
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I think Gonzalo uses a little Roland. Not sure about which model.