DjangoBooks.com

Chords in gypsy jazz

2»

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    +1 for Levine and Berle both; my method was to just pick a standard and work through it a thousand different ways, using different voicings/subs/etc that I'd learned about, until I could play it however I wanted on the spur of the moment.

I'd agree that most guitar-specific books aren't worth much, too.

best,
    Jack.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Phil, et al, as much as I declared I've got plenty to work on (and have spent plenty already on books, etc.), I did just buy Berle's "Contemporary Theory and Harmony," after reading some pretty stellar reviews. The other books are all in my cart, so thanks, gents, for providing some really helpful thoughts. I do realize experiential knowledge is best, but I think a skillful use of "book knowledge" - and by skillful, I mean, avoiding making a religion out of anything learned - can be helpful. It's my philosophy, anyway, with other things I've learned, and taught (e.g., martial ways, French culinary technique).

I've got a lifetime I could spend working on GJ, and plan to, but as I've said before - I know of the nearly terminal condition, G.A.S., but is there any hopeful prognosis for B.A.S.S.?
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Going back to the original post question...

I think the answer is - it's a question of personal taste, style, and convention in the genre, as far as chord voicings and chord choices go.

A couple of links that may be useful for some theory, and voicings check out:
    Jazz Guiotar Online - http://www.jazzguitar.be/
    a nice resource for a lot of examples, lessons, and theory, even a free chord theory book (very useful)

Django Solos - http://www.djangosolos.com/about.php
    While the info here costs a bit, even the freebie example has good info. Then, at least consider downloading one of the tunes, mp3s, chord, or transcriptions. Colin provides some interesting and common chord voicings. His eBooks, backing tracks, and transcriptions are helpful. Check out a couple of the single tunes first to how you like the presentation (mostly chord grilles - no lead sheets). The transcriptions give you the solo.
  • atmapremaatmaprema middle eastNew
    Thanks for your replies Michael & others ,,

i hope i can get your book (gypsy rythm) somehow, since i live in Tehran (Iran) unfortunatly i dont have access to Online shopping,, but i m searching a way (bank) to send you the amount to get picks, and some of the important books.
    i started to practice after watching Latcho Drom (Gatlif) but was surprised to see that mr Gatlif's Camera didnt pass from Iran becasue you must know that in gypsy music Persia has a long history.. but i guessed it must be for political reasons.. anyway thanks again,, i ll be asking my questions for i know there are lots of things to learn about gypsy jazz guitar... :D

take care
    hamid
  • plectromanplectroman Albany New YorkNew
    I read with interest the suggestions for books on music theory. If you want something really exhaustive: Harmonic Mechanisms for Guitar, by George Van Epps. Walter Piston's Book Harmony was the standard text in the 70's on legit theory. Later, Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry was helping to translate Van Epps' Stuff{...very good for those of us who like chord boxes.]. Also Jerry Coker's books were used by all instruments as a "way in" to improv. And, if you'd really like to go nuts with a weighty theoretical tome, there's always George Russell's Lydian Chromatic Concept which if you want to own it, will cost a "pretty penny' as they say.
    everything is everything
  • atmapremaatmaprema middle eastNew
    thanks plectroman

i searched for the books to download of course for free cause i live in Tehran and cannot buy online if you have any link to be able to get these theory books please inform me ..
    :) thanks
    hamidreza
  • A great book that is easy to use that provides the understanding from which one can figure things out for oneself is

"A Player's Guide to Chords and Harmony" by Jim Aiken

If Michael doesn't stock it probably still get it from Backbeat Books
    email <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
    Hamid,
    Check out
    www.outsideshore.com
    There you can browse for free a jazz/music intro theory book by Marc Sabatela.
    Great stuff, I plan to order a paper version.
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel