DjangoBooks.com

What is Kevin Nolan using when he plays with Jorgenson?

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator
    Hi Bob,

Sorry, I think I may be missing the point. Are you referring to Saga allegedly copying one of Rob's designs?

Thanks
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Bob,

I understand your concern here. My guess is that Saga will soon find that the market for starter Gypsy guitars is pretty saturated. How many different models can they bring to market? I doubt that the Chinese luthiers will be able to give Rob any real reason to be worried.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Hi Bob- I see where you're coming from and I agree for the most part. If Saga is using Rob's design to make a production model that they are going to sell then yeah there is a problem there I agree, that is improper, but if they are simply making Kevin a guitar to the specs of a damaged guitar that he really likes then I have less of a problem. I guess it depends on where they are trying to make their money. If they are trying to sell copies of Rob's work without his permission then I agree that is wrong and Rob may have legal recourse (I don't really know about those things I am not a lawyer) but they are looking to sell some D-500's because Kevin Nolan plays Saga guitars then like I said I have less of a problem. They still should have talked to Rob Aylward.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Caravan GSECaravan GSE Madison, WINew
    I think we should remember that these Chinese companies for year have build there "reputation" on copies of other folks work. Sometimes to the point of lawsuit. Anyone remember the Gibson Ibanez guitars?

I am NOT saying that it is right, and I am not a paid operative sent into Djangobooks to prop up Saga's reputation!! WINK WINK :D I play US made Dell Artes. I just think that if every time a guitar company in China made a "copy" of a quality guitar I got disturbed I might have a breakdown. I think that it is totally to be expected. I agree with Bob that Saga has no chance of giving Rob any run for his money. His guitars are great, and Saga's guitars are just that.... Sagas. Outside of this thread I'm not sure that anyone will know the connection to Rob's guitars.

C
    Chris Ruppenthal
    Caravan Gypsy Swing Ensemble
    www.gypsyswing.com
    Ok, so I am currently playing a DG-500. This has nothing to do with JJ, rather, it was given to me by Gitane when they agreed to produce a 'Kevin Nolan' model. What's more, I don't have anything else at the moment and it serves me well.

My Aylward D-hole is in the hands of Rob himself, and we are both hoping that it can be fixed, saving the original top which was sanded way too much during a bad repair many years ago in Amsterdam.
    I love my Aylward D-hole, and am yet to find or play ANY guitar that I like more for rhythm!!, that is why when Gitane approached me to ask how I would want my own model I had no hesitation in requesting that it be as close to my Aylward as possible. Sure they measured it up, they also wanted to and did change some of the specs, as did I. They are NOT using Rob's design. My intention is to make a guitar that feels and sounds as close to my Aylward as possible. After all it's the guitar on which I developed my style, and my style is why Gitane wants to build a guitar with my name on it. It is purely business. I think that Gitane build as good a guitar, if not better, as any other factory built axe on the market, and if I can in someway help them to improve on what they already have then I think that is good for the whole scene in general.
    As far as copying guitars goes, I suppose that even Mario Maccaferri was guilty of taking and using pre-existing ideas, as have all good Luthiers since.

I'm not sure when the 'Kevin Nolan' model will be ready. I have only received the 1st prototype so far, which I road tested and have given my report to Gitane who will make my requested changes. I am expecting the 2nd anytime now and am excited to do so. Hopefully, by #3 all the kinks will be ironed out.

But, to answer the original question..... Whatever guitar I want to!

I hope that this post helps to put people's minds at rest.

Cheers,

Kevin Nolan.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Thanks for the infomration, Kevin. We sure enjoyed seeing you and the gang at Castoro. You made that Gitane sound like a million bucks, even when the PA kept cutting out!
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    So, at long last an upgraded 12 fret D hole

Seems that the voice of many is not as powerful as that of a celebrity player...

Kevin,

Thanks for making this possible, and

look forward to the final effort.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Will the Kevin Nolan Gitane be making its debut at the January NAMM show?

Here's some pics from June 2009, with Kevin using the aforementioned D500:

20090613JJQ27.jpg

20090613JJQ2.jpg
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com
  • elropoelropo tampa bay, florida✭✭ Gitane D500 modified
    whatever happened to the new "Kevin Nolan" Gitane 12 fret D-Hole rumors?
    thanks,
    ron
  • BohemianBohemian State of Jefferson✭✭✭✭
    Considering there are several oval hole models, and several 14 fret D hole models..
    an upgraded 12 fret D hole would be welcomed.