DjangoBooks.com

single string phrases: logistics

shreyasshreyas New
edited September 2009 in Gypsy Picking Posts: 6
hello,
I'm fairly new to GP (started the book 8 weeks ago). I just started incorporating these techniques in rehearsal with my band (I play in a combo with a bass and trumpet). They love the change in tone and phrasing that's happened to my playing since Mr. Horowitz' book.

Anyways on to my question: I have been using some single string runs in my solos and found that fingering them with 1 & 2 is much more fluid and fast than using fingers 1-4 and sequentially changing positions. Is this OK to do from a GP/GJ perspective? Obviously the right hand essentially alt picks with all the downstrokes being rest strokes. I just want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules.
slovenly in syracuse,
shreyas

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    Hi Shreyas,

Glad you like the book!

Depends on what you're playing, but I often favor the two finger technique as well. Like you said, it's often more fluid.

-Michael
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    being that this is a django reinhardt forum, i think it's safe to say that no one is going to fault you for playing that way. :wink:

welcome to the forum
  • shreyasshreyas New
    thanks a lot guys. This forum is very helpful for me since I don't live in a town where anyone is playing GJ. I just moved here from montreal; but i didn't realize till after I got here that Denis Chang was in montreal (isn't it ironic). Appreciate the reinforcement.
    slovenly in syracuse,
    shreyas