DjangoBooks.com

DFNW - well, how was it?

2»

Comments

• Argyle DaveArgyle Dave bellingham,WANew
    I thought the singer who performed Sunday night was absolutely amazing and completely deserved to be there. Her name is 'Ginai'. She performs with the 'Hot Club Of Hulaville' in Hawaii. If the rest of her band is even half as good as she is I'd like to see them at Djangofest. Also it should be mentioned that she is extremley Hot!

Dave
  • LoritmoLoritmo Pacific NW✭✭✭
    djangology wrote:
    Phil wrote:
    -I think the Edgecliff jam gets too large with 10-16 people in it. You cant hear anything and the good players dont want to participate in it.

I have to agree. The good players didn't play much at all this year in the Edgecliff jams, which was extremely disappointing. They sometimes played in the bar and a couple of times outside, but you didn't get a lot of mixing of the pros and their different styles -- the bar is pretty small for gathering around to play and to hear the playing.

For the most part the pros stayed away from the "main" jam. The non-professionals didn't seem to want to give up their spots as in the past. Seems like the unwritten "rules" of the jam weren't followed this year.

Lorretta
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the uber jams either. Songs take 20 mins each and everyone gets bored.

I forgot one really cool moment at the Edgecliff on Friday night - there were too many guitarists and you couldn't hear anyone and then like a lightening bolt in the darkness *Bria Skonberg* stood up from no where with her glittering golden trumpet and took a marvelous New Orleans-style solo over "All of Me", which woke everyone up with renewed energy; which left us wishing we could hear more! Sorry I missed her show with Howard Alden.
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, Phil, for a vicarious experience, I can picture it perfectly. :lol:

This festival seems like the bomb. Can't wait until next year.
    Phil wrote:
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of the uber jams either. Songs take 20 mins each and everyone gets bored.

I forgot one really cool moment at the Edgecliff on Friday night - there were too many guitarists and you couldn't hear anyone and then like a lightening bolt in the darkness *Bria Skonberg* stood up from no where with her glittering golden trumpet and took a marvelous New Orleans-style solo over "All of Me", which woke everyone up with renewed energy; which left us wishing we could hear more! Sorry I missed her show with Howard Alden.
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    Then we had Howard Alden, with Bria Skonberg. What can I say...he opened with some solo pieces blended into a medlet...someone to watch over me and?

That medley at the beginning was "I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles" and "I'll See You In My Dreams", a la Sweet and Lowdown.

I was blown away by Bria's singing during that show... I knew she could play the trumpet, but hadn't experienced her singing before. Awesome!
  • dgimcmillandgimcmillan Abbotsford, B.C., CanadaNew
    Thanks for the information, adelavaaren.

Yeah, when Bria sang, I was surprised, too. Beautiful woman, beautiful trumpet, and beautiful voice. I wonder what the catch is? <g> :lol:

After reading what otheres have said about Friday night in the Middle School, I'm happy I chose the more initimate concert this time. Next year, though, I'm doing at least 3 concerts....

Ian
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I thought the singer who performed Sunday night was absolutely amazing and completely deserved to be there. Her name is 'Ginai'. She performs with the 'Hot Club Of Hulaville' in Hawaii. If the rest of her band is even half as good as she is I'd like to see them at Djangofest. Also it should be mentioned that she is extremley Hot!

Dave

I agree. She WELL deserved to be on stage. I wonder if she is associated at all with Tom Conways band?

She had to do a vocal solo over minor swing. I can't think of any singer that wouldn't have trouble with that. There isn't much to work with in that song unless you know Djangos or Stephanes note for note solo by ear. She sang a whole group of tunes in the bar the night before that were just incredible... some of which would have been better choices for performing. She isn't a Sara Lazarus but she is different, which is awesome.

On the other hand, considering that the stars of the show were sitting down it might have suited the show to have her sit down with them...
  • LaurentLaurent Calgary, Alberta CanadaNew
    The entire band was there; Emmet Mahoney(g), Sonny Silva(g) , Duane Padilla(v), Giani, and the bassist who's name I can't recall. Really great people and really fine players. Duane is a pro photographer and he has about 600 great photos from the Djangofest stage up on his site at duanepictures.smugmug.com

I had tickets for all shows and 4 workshops, but after hearing Stephane Wremble on Wednesday I also went to both of his workshops. All of the workshops that I went to were absolutely great; Dennis, Stephane, Gonzalo, Romane and Adrien's. I will pace myself a bit better next year, which I will be attending next year for sure.

The concerts were are all very fine, and not enough can be said of the lovely and hospital people of Langley, who clearly enjoy hosting Djangofest.

My only complaint is that the printed program did not have band bios or names....so I left not knowing the name of the fine guitarist from Hot Club of Detroit or the guitarist in Stephane Wrembel's band...both awesome players.

Laurent
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    My workshop with Adrien was cancelled but I took Romanes workshop instead which was a nice overview of the song Nuits St. Germain-des-pres .