DjangoBooks.com

French Songs ? What do you play ?

Joli GadjoJoli Gadjo Cardiff, UK✭✭✭✭ Derecho, Bumgarner - VSOP, AJL
edited December 2009 in Repertoire Posts: 542
Dear all,

I was wondering what are the standard tunes (non Django, but with potential vocals) that you guys usually add from the French song repertoire ?

The usual is :
menilmontant, La mer, Autumn Leaves, La foule, La vie en Rose....

If I have to stay around tunes from : Maurice Chevalier, Mistinguette, Josephine Baker, Edit Piath, Charles Trenet... What would you suggest ?

Thanks !!
- JG

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    I like doing "J'aime plus Paris" from Dutronc, but that certainly isn't of the era you speak...

My favorite Piaf is "Hymn a l'amour" but I don't know how it would work with GJ.

Probably the best suggestion I'd have is "J'ai deux amours"... Works well with GJ. I believe it was Ms. Baker's song first, but Henri Crolla did it, and there is a great modern version by Madeleine Peyroux.
  • brandoneonbrandoneon Alpes-de-Haute-Provence, France✭✭✭
    Trenet works great! I really like playing Boum and Y'a de la joie.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    I heard David Gastine sing a beautiful rendition of "Clopin-Clopant", Seb Giniaux played the solo. I'm sure they got it from Henri Salvador: http://www.deezer.com/listen-3736113

Lovely tune.
  • steven_eiresteven_eire Wicklow✭✭✭✭ Dupont MD50
    an obvious one would be cest si bon, a popular swing era tune with the lyrics in french and english. louis armstrong and many others played that one.
  • Tele295Tele295 San Buenaventura (Latcho Drom), CA✭✭✭ Gitane DG300, D500
    Nuit et Jour (Night & Day)
    La Vie En Rose
    La Mer

Jessica Fichot has a wonderful song called "Le Grenier" that we would like to do. We saw her at Djangofest LA last April and again at SoHo in Santa Barrbara in September, both times with our own Doug Martin (gitpicker) strummin' the heck out of his Favino
    Jill Martini Soiree - Gypsy Swing & Cocktail Jazz
    http://www.jillmartinisoiree.com