DjangoBooks.com

Vintage Gypsy Jazz Guitars as Investments

13»

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    First, the only two people that are making any real money out of the buying and selling of GJ guitars are the middlemen (mainly Michael and Jacques in this country).

I wouldn't say it's that one dimensional....the fees only really matter when some one is "flipping" an instrument pretty quickly (i.e. the bought and the tried to resell within 1-2 year period, longer for a new instrument). But even so the commissions are off set by the fact that you usually will get a better price with the better advertising you'll get on well trafficked sites. Sure, you can sell it yourself on eBay, craigslist, etc but you usually have to fire sale it in order to get a buyer. Ebay/Craigslist buyers tend to be predominantly bargain hunters so it's harder to get the higher prices.

I know of many people who have made lots of $ buying and selling instruments...the trick is buy and hold. Sometimes you don't have to hold very long, for example Selmer, Favinos, and Busatos have risen quickly and you often could have sold one year later and still have made money. But more often you need to wait 5-10 years...then you'll definitely do OK as long as you have something good.

'm
  • bill raymondbill raymond Red Bluff, CA✭✭✭
    Michael (Bauer), I only meant the term "speculation" to refer to the purchase of "vintage" guitars in the hope that they will somehow be monetarily profitable as other "investments" can be. I quite agree that the value of the instrument to the collector can (perhaps should) be primarily one of enjoyment of that instrument, but when folks start talking of guitars as "investments" (like stocks, bonds, 401(k)'s and IRAs) then I think it only prudent to offer some perspective. If you buy a guitar, enjoy playing it for a time (perhaps even make some money from your performances on that guitar) then sell it even at a great monetary loss, then that's OK, because you had the use of that instrument, you derived value and enjoyment from it, and you paid for that use, enjoyment and value. If you think of it as something that is going to make you money via price appreciation and would be disappointed were it not to, then in my opinion you're approaching the purchase from the wrong direction. The point I was trying to make is that these are NOT investments in the sense of retirement funds or such, guaranteed to make you (at least a little) wealthier in monetary terms. Instrument dealers buy and sell for and from a revolving inventory and are thus not "speculators", though there is a speculative aspect to carrying on any sort of business.

To reiterate, buying instruments for price appreciation is "speculation". Buying instruments to resell is a business and should be profitable for the businessman, but entails the risk of loss that all businessmen undertake and should understand. Buying instruments for personal enjoyment, use and/or tools of your trade is a pleasure--perhaps also a necessity.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Bill--

I suppose i was reacting to the implied perjorative in the word "speculation". Change that to "investment" and it doesn't sound nearly as bad. It's the old English teacher in me coming out. I agree with you that buying and selling vintage guitars is not the easy path to ease and riches, but I do have a good friend who has literally cleared several million dollars in trading vintage Les Pauls and the like. He saw where it was leading before anyone else and so built stock early and had the ability to keep moving up as the prices did. Last time I checked, he had 9 '59 Les Pauls, most of which are the cream of the cream. Of course, he's owned over 200 of them to get there. GJ guitars are not likely to follow that path though, are they? Michael's right that GJ prices make this a minor league of collecting. A few of my friends think I am nuts; the kinder ones use the term "eccentric" for my liking these guitars.

Michael--

I certainly didn't mean to suggest in any way that you don't earn your money. Like anything else, sometimes you make a quick and easy sale, and sometimes you work long and hard for it...and I know how hard you work at it sometimes. And I agree with you that those who hold onto a guitar for a good while are usually going to make money. But it is true that Jacques and you always make money on a transaction, while the seller might not (of course you aren't forcing him to sell, either).

But you should make money! The time in evaluating the guitars, writing the decsription, taking the pictures and making the videos should not be free, and I think you are very fair about the whole thing. You also do a fantastic job at it! I have read numerous posts here about guys who don't even know another person who likes GJ in their area. Our community is so small that frequently the only way a buyer and seller can find each other is through your website. I wouldn't even know some of these makers exist if it weren't for you. And I also agree that we all do better here than we would on e-bay or Craig's list. I listed some of my electrics on Craig's List, and mostly got offers to trade anything from motorcycles to appliances for the guitars. I didn't get one serious cash offer, just a couple of rediculous lowballs. NO, unless you have a friend that you know wants your guitar, a website like this is the way to do it. And that's the point: this is a business for you and you run it with that level of professionalism. You also give very good, honest advice in trying to match a buyer with the right guitar. I can say you have never matched me with a guitar I didn't love. I used to go to a great hardware store in Pittsburgh, where prices were a little higher than home depot, but where they saved me tons of money with good advice and technical help, so I was happy to pay a bit more for the service. on balance I was way ahead.

So there was no negative intended in what I wrote. I was merely affirming a bit what several others have said: trading GJ guitars is not going to get anyone rich. But I think being an honest, innovative, middleman can make you a decent living, and I for one am happy to make regular contributions to the Horowitz family college fund! You earn it!

Michael
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    But I think being an honest, innovative, middleman can make you a decent living, and I for one am happy to make regular contributions to the Horowitz family college fund! You earn it!

thanks Michael....my kids will appreciate that! Maybe they will even go to Romane's Gypsy jazz school in France??!!

'm