DjangoBooks.com

music rights

viperviper VermontNew
edited November 2009 in Recording Posts: 51
Hi All,

My band is preparing to put a cd for demos and to sell at gigs.

We found that under US laws (via ascap and bmi,) the fee for 6 of the 10 tunes would normally be 9.1 cents/tune/unit,or about 55cents per cd. My man Jamar at EMI (the holder of the rights to the tunes) was willing to cut us the standard deal for small releases, cutting the price by 25%, so we'd pay $204.75 for the pressing of 500 (about 40c per unit).

So, for my money, 40c out of $15/cd is well worth it for a licensing agreement.

One problem is that 4 of the 10 songs (Si tu savais, Tchavolo Swing, Swing Gitan, Diminushing) show no one holding publishing or license rights. My feeling is that if we are paying anyone for use of their songs, it should be the guys who are still alive - Angelo and Dorado. Any one have some advice?

Thanks!

Comments

• AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    I don't know about the others, but Si Tu Savais should definitely be under copyright - Georges Ulmer just died 20 years ago...
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Swing Gitane is always shown as "traditional."
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles