DjangoBooks.com

best/favorite gypsy guitarist in the us? your opinion

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Great guitarists are like great single malts: I want to hear different ones in different circumstances. I have my favorites, but at any given time, I might want to hear/drink any one from the famous to the obscure.

Great simile!
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator

...Great guitarists are like great single malts: I want to hear different ones in different circumstances.

And with that in mind, time to cap the evening with a dram of Ardbeg Uigeadail and head upstairs for bed. Gawd... last dram in that bottle - a true tradgedy. Ah well, they've probably made more of it... ;-)
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Ardbeg - now that is poetry in a glass.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    another vote for the Ardbeg! :D
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • Michael BauerMichael Bauer Chicago, ILProdigy Selmers, Busatos and more…oh my!
    Ardbeg is excellent, but of the 40 some single malts I keep around, my current favorite is Longmorn 16 year old. Hard to find, but worth the search. Like a symphony of tastes! The most complex single malt I have ever tried. If Laphroig is a Busato, loud and direct, Longmorn is a Selmer all the way, not overpowering, but with layers of subtleties. Anyone else tried it?

On the other hand, I could list fifteen others that are tied for a close second!
    I've never been a guitar player, but I've played one on stage.
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Haven't tried it - getting to the end of my 40th birthday gift (Bowmore 25) sounds like that... never taken that long to drink a bottle but I thought - hey - hang on to 40 as long as is possible, right? I'll look for Longmorn.

OK then - about players - how about this... if it's not about who is best, then how about what you like most about them? Or in scotch terms... which scotch are they? I'll stay away from vintages and just allude to the basic character of the distillery. For me:

Bergara is Ardbeg... Strong, soulful & spicy with a sweet finish
    Ponticelli is Oban... Bold and traditional but bringing in other influences (flamenco/spice)
    Spisic is Clynelish... All heart, baby... truly the Djelem Djelem of scotch
    Mehling is Lagavulin...Full-on hardcore traditional old-school flavor
    Andersson is Bowmore...Smoky smooth and immaculately balanced
    Chapman is Caol Ila... Balanced and spicy with that long sustaining finish
    Pena is Laphroaig... Amazing young scotch (the 10) gets even deeper as the vintage ages
    Wrembel is Talisker... Incredibly spicy and each sip gives you something new
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • 10 year old Taisker is great
    18 year old Talisker is superb
    25 year old Talisker is IMO the real Ne plus ultra. :shock:

One would successfully conclude that i like peaty scotch :lol:

For scotch fetishists who are coming to DFNW this year I travel with a reasonable stock of 18 yr old. :wink:

AS to players well truly that comparison is beyond me.
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio
    Hey Thrip - you and your English buddies should come on over for DFNW - it's a blast and you'd have a great time - you're a quality player who it would be good to see on the roster of artists. Plus you could do some lessons.

Perhaps I misinterpreted the original post? - I interpreted the question as who is your favourite US born GJ guitarist and therefore I excluded Wrembel, Gonzalo, Kruno from my response. But I agree with the replies, they're all great - not sure about comparing them to single malt though, as none of them are made in Scotland! :wink:

...but I have to chime in on my current favourite Scotch: Aberlour 16 year old - it's like honey, with a hint of Sherry from it's double maturity, really smooth - a classic malt.

Slainte -

Phil
    Thanks for your kind words Phil. Of course I'd love to come in any capacity, I know I'd enjoy it, basically because I like to play the guitar! Maybe one day..

Interesting you should mention Aberlour, its where the excellent luthier Rob Aylward lives and works. Perhaps he should offer an exclusive bottle to go with his guitars. That would be a good marketing ploy!