DjangoBooks.com

to everybody that can help me about Gallato rs1939 1 serie

2»

Comments

• ibradburibradbur Halifax Nova Scotia✭✭✭
    As far as I know, both the Dupont Busatos the Vielle Reserve both real have pliage.

Ian
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The VR, Barault & the Selmer models I do are the ones I know of that have what I'd call a "functioning" pliage, though there could be others. The thing about it is - that it's tough to do right and if you don't, you wind up with little to no difference in sound and so it's sort of like "what's the point" and I think that's where a lot of makers wind up. That certainly was my impression when I started that design. The only thing that got me past those initial protos was stubbornness. It certainly wasn't smart to sink that much time into that design when I had people asking for other styles that I can already make, but hey... again back to the initial proposition... hard headed Norwegian who doesn't like being stumped... and the Selmer pliage is the 'rubik's cube' of GJ luthiery. It's easy to get one or two sides of the cube... but getting all six... that's a whole 'nother thing. Likewise - making the fold is a little more work... but incorporating the fold as a functioning part of the design... whole 'nother thing. But it's important to note that you can make a really good guitar without a pliage. Yes, the pliage does seem to lend a very nice compression which gives Selmers that wonderful characteristic midrange crunch/grunge when you dig in - and yet so blasted sweet and musical when played softly... But I've played a ton of really good guitars with no pliage - some of which have a good chunk of Selmer tone in them. The pliage does some very specific things which I personally find addictive, but not all people do.

So - as for the pliage - long story short - it's really only useful if it's a functioning part of the design - and figuring it out takes more time & effort than is really wise to spend. I busted up a dozen protos before really understanding it. What's a guitar's price x 12? That's right... enough to buy a Selmer... haha... but a person can't think about it like that.
    Jose
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Dupont does the pliage in the Vielle Reserve model only (he also did it in a limited MD 50 edition called SLOG, made for Oldies Guitars in Paris). Jean Barault is also a pliage maniac (I have seen some Baraults with a HUGE pliage...). I'm pretty sure Michael Collins does it and there are a lot of luthiers who will apply the pliage if requested (not necessarily famous names: Reitz ,Cholet or Bariselli come to mind...)
  • fraterfrater Prodigy
    Great post, Bob. I can see the pliage from here on the 863 video!
    my ignorance.......but sorry what is a pliage??
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Pliage is a type of arch in the soundboard. Here's a description of the process:
    http://www.pluckandsqueeze.com/Mac%202/Pliage%201.htm
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    I know I'm digging up an old thread, yet I've been doing a bit of research on Gallato guitars (as I've been considering to purchase) and have found something quite interesting regarding the origin of his GJ guitars in this video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JqHU_gcgR4 ('tis in french, be warned!)

Although it is rumored that the guitars are being made in France/Spain, it is said (around 5:05 through the video) that "this guitar i]the rs1939[/i will be built at 67% in France, the rest, in Asia."

Whatever "67% of a guitar" is. Watching the video, it seems bulk of the body is sent to their shops (in Cahors, hence the "PARIS" on the headstock :| ) where they (under the supervision of Serge Gallato, as it seems he does not participate much) screw on their "mécanique" (tuners and tailpiece, I assume), do the finish, the "pose de frette" (fret adjustment) and fret dressing "à la pierre à huile".

The guitars themselves seem fine and to me seem to have more or less interest worthy prices for "67% made in France" instruments.

I only really dislike how shady the information given about the guitars was as I felt like I had to dig a lot to find out their "actual" origin...

'Hope this was usefull to all looking to elucidate the mystery of Gallato guitars' fabrication,

Phramboise
  • Jeff MooreJeff Moore Minneapolis✭✭✭✭ Lebreton 2
    Nutrio and Klaatu
    I think a much better descriptor of a pliage is a "fold", like many mandolins, just behind and running parrallel to the bridge. The resulting Selmac tops are then both arched in both directions and slightly but distinctly "folded".
    Lebretons also have pliage. I'd be surprised if there weren't at least a few more builders doing them than have been named.
    Can't help on the Gallatos. Never had my hands on one.
    "We need a radical redistribution of wealth and power" MLK
  • BonesBones Moderator
    I have 2 (a petite bouche and D). I like them both. Very loud and dry.

I think they are mostly made is asia and maybe setup in france but not sure.

A bit pricey for an Asian but if you like the sound and they are well built then.....

Michael doesn't carry them as he carries other Asian guitars with a better price.

I have had a couple Gitanes and they are ok but pretty wet and not even close to a Gallato. Not sure how the other Asian brands sound since I have not tried them. I have tried a few higher-end guitars that were not better than my Gallatos.

One thing though, they have a traditional selmer neck profile (big and boxy) which took some getting used to for me but now it is ok. I guess I adjusted to it or something.