DjangoBooks.com

Django centennial in Asheville NC

scotscot Virtuoso
edited February 2010 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 653
The Django Reinhardt centennial concert/party last weekend at the Grey Eagle music hall in Asheville NC was a tremendous success. We had five bands - the Sireens vocal trio, One Leg Up, Viper's Dream, Musette Guitars, the Firecracker Jazz Band, players from other bands like the Snake Oil Medicine Show, and the renowned bandleader, Russ Wilson, who sang and played some drums. One Leg Up and Viper's Dream are two Hot Club Style bands from Asheville – both groups were polished and sharp and on their game. Musette Guitars played an eclectic mix of waltzes, Django tunes, and bebop tunes. The Firecracker Jazz band, complete with horn section, had a set of Django tunes prepared for the event, and they were smokin'. Guitarist John Corbin even played "Improvisation #2" on his Epiphone archtop - standing up! After all the bands had played their sets, there was a big jam session with the many great musicians who were there. It was incredible to hear a trumpet and cornet wailing together on Dark Eyes while an accordion comped for them, or a multi-chorus trombone solo on Minor Swing with three guitars, a bass and snare drum providing a sharp pompe rhythm, or a tuba solo – it was like that all night. The Grey Eagle was sold out and the rowdy, enthusiastic crowd was typically Asheville - good people of every variety, from the tragically hip to the transcendentally cool. If you've ever been around Asheville, you know what I mean. I guess it wasn't exactly a gypsy jazz show - more like a diverse lot of great musicians (of all ages) paying tribute to Django's contributions to music, everyone doing it in their own way. Playing with great jazz musicians who are not really part of the gypsy jazz community, hearing them really pushing it on Django's music - it was just terrific. The musicians gave all they had - whatever you call it, it was absolutely the best gig I ever played!

My wonderful wife got a chunk of the jam session and the Musette Guitars show on video, and when time permits, we'll post some on youtube. The whole vibe from the show really comes through on the video - you can feel the energy. And the club already asked the folks who organized the whole thing to plan on doing it again next year...

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see some of that video...these are far and away my favorite shows--those where good musicians simply dig into Django's music with gusto, without worrying about what the Gypsy Jazz police might say.
  • AdelaarvarenAdelaarvaren Ballard, WA, USANew
    I hate to have missed that... I love Asheville :)

I really dig Firecracker. Was Reece on piano? That man is a monster... Je has been a favorite of mine for many years, from back when Sex Police rocked App State. His work post Stacey Guess with the Zippers is awesome. And of course with Snake Oil, Caroline, George, and Andy always add a great vibe :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm very blessed to live in Seattle, but there is something particularly awesome about WNC music. I used to love me some Acoustic Syndicate, Ras Alan, etc.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    You're right, the whole music scene in western NC is hard to beat. Unfortunately Reese wasn't there for this show - he went to Texas for the winter or something. But Je and Henry Westmoreland were tearing up the place. Here's a youtube site with a bunch of videos from the whole night:

http://www.youtube.com/user/musetteguitars

Don't miss Russ Wilson on "Sweet Sue".
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Scot- that looks like a really good time! The music sounds great. If you guys do it again next year I will try and make it up I have friends in Asheville.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.