DjangoBooks.com

Antoine Boyer

scotscot Virtuoso
edited March 2010 in CD, DVD, and Concert Reviews Posts: 654
I don't know how many folks here have ever heard of Antoine Boyer - he's a protege of Francis Moerman and Mandino Reinhardt, 11 years of age. He is a most amazing young guitar player. He and his father have released a CD/DVD package soon to be available at Djangobooks. The CD contains a dozen of Francis Moerman's tunes, played by Antoine and his father Sebastian; the DVD is a 30 minute documentary about Francis Moerman and the Boyer's friendship with him. I'm certainly prejudiced here as I am friends with all the parties involved, but for anyone interested in the more poetic aspects of this music, this set is for you. Antoine is a superb player regardless of his age, who has taken Francis' music and somehow or another managed to make these idiosyncratic tunes all his own, while still keeping close to Francis' original sound. It's really beautiful guitar playing and arranging. The recording was done at Francis' 17th century farmhouse in rural France, as was most of the DVD. In the documentary Francis talks about his life and times, and Antoine and his father Sebastian play guitar, and Alain Antoinetto gives a brief interview. Francis' unique character, and the extraordinary atmosphere of his home (where I have been lucky enough to pass many pleasant days) all come through in the film. Francis played with all the greats - all the Ferrets, Joseph and Lousson Reinhardt - back in the 60s and 70s, and made many excellent CDs of his own music, but recently has been struck with Parkinson's disease and can't play any more. But fortunately he has not let this get him down. If you have any interest in the history of this music, or in music that is jazz manouche from a slightly different perspective, don't pass this one up. Michael should have some soon. More info here http://www.myspace.com/esmeraldjazzandfriends

I also recently got a great new magazine from France, the first edition of "Guitar Acoustic", entirely devoted to Django. It's got a bunch of very interesting articles and a ton of transcriptions. I don't know how to get some of these across the pond but maybe someone here does. It would be worth the effort.

Comments

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    scot wrote:
    I also recently got a great new magazine from France, the first edition of "Guitar Acoustic", entirely devoted to Django. It's got a bunch of very interesting articles and a ton of transcriptions. I don't know how to get some of these across the pond but maybe someone here does. It would be worth the effort.
    This is a really great magazine even if you can hardly read French like me. Highly recommended.

Amongst many other things, it shows those really funky chords Django plays on "Anniversary Song".
  • pinkgarypinkgary ✭✭✭
    Teddy,

Where did you get it from?
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    pinkgary wrote:
    Teddy,

Where did you get it from?
    A friend from France was kind enough to send me a copy.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I've just watched the DVD that came with this set, and it's a wonderful, touching little piece of work. I hope it brings some more exposure to F.A. Moerman's music within the gypsy jazz community; while it's not the flashiest playing, it's seriously musical, somehow both rooted in a Ferret-like tradition and modern-sounding all at once. I'm looking forward to listening to the CD.

But even putting the music aside, the movie is great for the look at some of our last links to the earlier generations--Moerman talking about a semi-retired Matelot Ferret playing on park benches, Alain Antonietto lamenting the "Djangomania" that has given rise to a narrow-minded focus on technical prowess. Young Antoine picking up the Busato on which Django is supposed to have written Anouman. It really is moving; I only wish it were longer.
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    This all sounds awesome!! I can't wait to check it out. I am with you jack I hope this does bring some much needed attention to Moerman's legacy and his history on the Parisian scene.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    http://www.youtube.com/user/esmeraldjazz

Here's a clip from the documentary.
  • redbluesredblues ✭✭
    Recieved Francis-Alfred Moerman's Gitan and Tzigane (1993)album from amazon france, and it is quite simply amazing. A work of absolute beauty...thanks to the guys here at djangobooks for recommending him, I'm going to try and get more.

Although I do have a feeling this album is a magnus opus, such is the quality
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    Listening to this in the shop right now... and feeling guiltier every day that I don't send Scot a thankyou for helping this young man get his career off the ground (Scot is mentioned in the credits of the film - not sure what his role is, but knowing Scot - he's opened that big heart of his to help this young guy in some way)

Le Chat Matinale (SP?) is on right now... I have to say - seriously. This young guy doesn't play like a young guy. How he can capture this kind of emotion without having raised children or faced the loss of a loved one I can't fathom. He doesn't play licks, he doesn't play overwrought 'faked' emotion or do macho arpeggio runs, or rely on techniques intended to surprise or shock the uninitiated listener. It's just real straight from the heart music. All I know is that I didn't have this kind of soul till well into my 30s and I'll never in my life have the chops this young man has today at the age of, what... 13 ? 14 ? This is really astounding work. As is said, the one thing you can't fake is sincerity and that is what I hear in his music - that and a whole bunch of talent and hard work. I am so glad he is here. Anoine the Anti-shredder is among us. What a wonderful development this is. Let's do him the favor of not comparing him to anyone else at his age. I think he deserves and will earn his own place as a unique talent if he desires to continue on his present path.

Scot - sorry - I owe you an email. It's been very hectic sunup to sundown here. Good stuff, but hectic nonetheless.

-Bob
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.