DjangoBooks.com

Ouch....

The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
edited February 2010 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 71
Maybe someone should stop these guys before they spread the teachings of bad Gypsy Rhythm....

http://www.vimeo.com/6298200

Comments

• dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    that's actually pretty funny, they're not bad players though, just misinformed.. not being authentic in itself isn't bad at all, but that kind of rhythm just sounds very cheesy and doesn't swing it all... it's just as bad as playing authentic rhythm but keeping time very poorly
    btw there are lots of inauthentic things in gypsy jazz too... like gypsy bossa, rhumba, and even the way they play hungarian folk music... but it sounds good... at least to my ears... some of the bossas and rhumbas can be cheesy though
  • MaxwellGarcesMaxwellGarces Laguna Niguel, CA.✭✭✭
    THE LOS!!!!!!!!!!! the guy on lead has the solo down pretty good though...
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    dennis wrote:
    btw there are lots of inauthentic things in gypsy jazz too...

I question this whole concept of "authentic". Often, it is interpreted as what is currently fashionable. The rhythm played by most of today's "authentic" gypsy jazz groups is not exactly that played by Django and his accompanying guitarists - and they are surely the most authentic of all. In any case, that changed from recording to recording and developed over the years.

I think it is a mistake to be confined by what we are told is "authentic". Like so much of the myriad teaching material available today, it is better to use it as a guide rather than a straighjacket.
  • The LosThe Los San DiegoNew
    Yeah, watching the video again I have to agree with you Dennis. It's not that the rhythm is terrible (it is in time at least) it's just not a very authentic representation of the style. And solid body electrics??? I say that again... solid body electrics??? Who knows, maybe they'll start a new trend. I propose a new sub-genre: Gypsy-Jazz-Dick-Dale-Rock

:wink:
  • marcieromarciero Southern MaineNew
    there are lots of inauthentic things in gypsy jazz too... like gypsy bossa...
    I think it is a mistake to be confined by what we are told is "authentic".

Probably "authentic" is not the best word. We're usually just trying to have a conversation so need to have some language to talk about different styles. There is nothing confining about that. We call it "gypsy bossa", for example, to distinguish it from bossa, which is way different. Words like "authentic" or "genuine" suggest that something that is not is inferior. Usually we dont mean that. On the other hand, we would like to note when something derives from something else.

Mike
    indeed, i never said authentic meant better , in fact i specifically pointed out that some authentic players sound bad themselves...
  • GregLewisGregLewis Chicago, IL (Oak Park)New
    Got to love the reverb! Surf's up. :D

Greg
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    The Los wrote:
    And solid body electrics??? I say that again... solid body electrics??? Who knows, maybe they'll start a new trend. I propose a new sub-genre: Gypsy-Jazz-Dick-Dale-Rock

:wink:

Check it out:
    viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1521
  • scotscot Virtuoso
    Are these two cats authentic? Careful...