DjangoBooks.com

pick hits top of guitar on downstroke

2»

Comments

• Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    This used to happen to me (fingers hitting top, but it stopped pick also). Then I read that Raphael Fays (to whom it also happened) practiced holding a wine cork (it MUST be a French wine) in his 3 non pick-holding fingers. I started doing this and it went away very quickly and you never have to worry about it again.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    I know someone whose picking attack is so aggressive that he hits the top repeatedly. Makes for an interesting percussive effect in his playing.

If you have trouble eliminating the hitting, or you like the sound you are getting and don't want to change, you could always try putting on one of those thin clear plastic pickguards like Dupont uses. Some people say that it will interfere with the vibration of the top, but if it's good enough for a Dupont ... (my friend has a Dupont, fortunately).
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
    After carefully focusing on my issue for a couple of weeks, I've readjusted the slightest bit of everything about my hand position, my wrist position, the way I hold the pick, how i hold my guitar, the way I sit, and the chairs I use. I wanna thank you all because all of your input has helped, and now i see how it's done...and damn my tone got better, too.
    So I don't start another thread...
    Who grazes the top with fingers, who grazes the strings with knuckles, and who does a combination?