DjangoBooks.com

poor man's gig book

periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
edited February 2010 in Repertoire Posts: 140
Here is a photo of my budget gig book.

The nice thing is that I can add or remove songs, as necessary (and still keep everything nice and tidy in alphabetical order). The current iteration has 65 tunes in it. The funny part is that I have been coveting my friend's Robin Nolan gig book, but I've never purchased one because the price is a little steep for me. Now my buddy with the Nolan book wants me to make one for him. Go figure...

Comments

• JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    I like it! You should laminate all the pages and start selling them at festivals.
  • HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    Jack wrote:
    I like it! You should laminate all the pages and start selling them at festivals.

Or with a partnership with Michael! I'd buy it if it had the many conceiveable tunes that inevitably turn up at jams.

Could be a godsend.
    HCQ
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Periclimenes, if you're not looking to get into the "poor man's gig book" publishing biz, would you be willing to post the template you used to create those grilles? They look really slick.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Looks nice!

As a sidenote "After you've gone" is not in the key of C major.... as it appears in your chart it's in G, it starts on the IV chord
  • periclimenespericlimenes Santa Ana, CANew
    Harry,

Thanks for catching that. Instead of having the forethought to make templates for song types (AABA, ABAC, through composed, etc.) I had been cutting and pasting songs and changing the title, key signature, and chords. I forgot to change the key signature when I pasted that one from elsewhere.
    thickpick wrote:
    Periclimenes, if you're not looking to get into the "poor man's gig book" publishing biz, would you be willing to post the template you used to create those grilles? They look really slick.

I'm away from the computer that has the giant word file on it, but when I get back to it next week, I can put something up. Here's the gist of what I did, though:

1. Create a new document in word, using the 3"x5" index card template that comes with the program(it makes three to a page)
    2. Create a table with the appropriate number of cells
    3. Put in the chords
    4. Print, Cut, Paste...
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the directions, Periclimenes. Question: I see in the Daphne card in the background that you're able to get a split cell with a diagonal line. Any idea how you did that? I can only figure out how to get a vertical dividing line, which I find harder to read.
    Hey thickpick,

If you click the dropdown menu next to the table border, there is a diagonal line one. Then you have to left-justify the first chord (top left) and right justify the second one (bottom right). Let me know if you have more questions.
  • thickpickthickpick ✭✭✭
    Hey, cool trick! I didn't know Word could do that. Thanks for the help.