DjangoBooks.com

FS: Amazing Bob Holo F Hole guitar

klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
edited March 2010 in Classifieds Posts: 1,665
Never thought I'd be doing this, but I'm putting my Holo F hole up for sale. Why? Because I recently purchased Charlie Miller's Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan and have discovered my inner Favino. The Shopis is getting all of my playing time, and I am so enamored of the big Favino style guitar that my new gypsy wet dream is to acquire an actual Favino (or maybe Busato) at some point. Not being big on collecting guitars for the mere sake of having them, and believing that fine guitars ought to be played, AND needing to build up what Michael Bauer calls a "war chest," I'm offering the Holo for sale. NOW CONSIGNED WITH MICHAEL HOROWITZ
http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/holo-f-hole-model-jazz.html

This is an amazing guitar. Loud and brash, in appearance it screams Di Mauro but the sound is very Busato-like. Easily the driest guitar I've ever played, with clear, simple tones, very little overtone. It's very easy to play, comfortable action, and great cutting power. It's strung with Argie 10s, which Bob recommends you stay with. Carpathian spruce top, Indian rosewood back and sides, walnut neck. There is no truss rod; per Bob: "The neck has dual carbon reinforcement - and it's good carbon too. It's military grade unidirectional fiber epoxy potted pultruded carbon and is textured before it is glued-in to further improve its mating to the channels in the neck."

The finish is "a short-oil phenolic varnish over long oil traditional varnish over dewaxed shellac - so it should be just as capable as a thick finish ... pretty much what Ari & Leo Eimers are using on their antiqued models " The very light finish and lack of a trussrod contribute to the lightness and responsiveness of this guitar. At 3.3 lbs, it's even lighter than a Dupont .

This video clip will give you some idea (solo at 1:48):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4oStKYatKs

For further description and more video, refer back to Michael's original listing:
http://shoppingcart.djangobooks.com/ecom-prodshow/holo-f-hole-model-jazz.html

I'm posting Michael's photos, since they are better than anything I could produce. The guitar is still in the same condition as when I purchased it new. It has been well cared for and kept in a humidified environment, maintained at 45%.

Bob is a genius at creating guitars that not only look old, they SOUND old. The antiquing is patterned after the Di Mauro pictured in the photo of Moreno below (minus the big diamond inlays; I actually prefer the clean look of the Holo fretboard). Bob says:"Over the next year or two, the soundboard will start to take on that cinnamon color and that dark stuff in the pick wear and up around the neck will really start to 'pop' visually. "

Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
-- Orson Welles

Comments

• JazzDawgJazzDawg New
    Aw, man! Really love this guitar looks and sounds fine too. Wish I was in better shape financially to take it off your hands. I never expected this one to be available again.

Whoever gets it will be satisfied, I'm sure.
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    JazzDawg wrote:
    I never expected this one to be available again.

I never did, either! It is an incredible guitar, fun to play and so very unique (I know, you can't be very unique, you're unique or you're not, but indulge me).

As far as I know, it is one of only two in existence, the other being the darker one that Denis Chang has (or had) on loan and which he used in some of the Wawau Adler videos. Bob said he may make more F holes in the future but probably not with the antiquing, so if this guitar floats anyone's boat, better grab it up, before I change my mind!
    Benny

"It's a great feeling to be dealing with material which is better than yourself, that you know you can never live up to."
    -- Orson Welles
  • klaatuklaatu Nova ScotiaProdigy Rodrigo Shopis D'Artagnan, 1950s Jacques Castelluccia
    Guitar is now on its way to be consigned with Michael H. Stay tuned on his store pages.
    Benny

-- Orson Welles